Talk

Advanced search

Automatic ball thrower

(9 Posts)

I have a ball obsessed spaniel. I have long thought that some kind of automatic machine, like you have for tennis practice, would be bloody marvellous. I've been investigating today, and they do make such devices but they are ££££. Has anyone managed to adapt something to fulfill this niche? I can't spend hundreds, but I really would like to get Jasper flinging his own balls as it were. My arm hurts sad I was thinking that I could train him to fetch the ball, drop it in to the device,a nd then it would fire it down the garden. Voila. One happy, knackered dog, and one happy owner who can watch him from the warmth of the house and eat biscuits

SuperB0F Tue 02-Oct-12 14:59:27

Dragons Den for you m'dear- what a brilliant idea!

Oh, I am no engineer. DS1 keeps saying he can make it with Mindstorms, but somehow I don't think he'd like having his precious Lego drooled all over by the hell hound. I was thinking of flyball machines, because I thought they launched the ball. But they don't sad

pimmsgalore Tue 02-Oct-12 15:46:43

chickens you need this

Cuebill Tue 02-Oct-12 15:47:10

Don't do it . You have the best training aid there is - a ball obsessed dog. If he learns to throw his own balls (obviously his own tennis balls!) why will he ever need to listen to you.

He will trot off on his own and play with his balls <smirk> - no need for humans at all - only to open the food bin.

Pimms, I will pay him 1 meeeeelion dollars for that machine.

Cue, the ball has proved more troublesome than helpful with training. We use cheese for that and put up with the Farts Of Death.

Pimms, I will pay him 1 meeeeelion dollars for that machine.

Cue, the ball has proved more troublesome than helpful with training. We use cheese for that and put up with the Farts Of Death.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 02-Oct-12 20:16:58

I'd be interested in one that plays tug of war with squeaky toys - my postman thinks its hilarious when I stand there signing for parcels with the kong wubba lodged under one foot whilst the deranged staffy tries to pull it out.

tooearlytobeup Tue 02-Oct-12 21:51:09

Oh no! If there is such a machine, please nobody tell my dog. He can already feed himself by following the kids around, if he had one of those he would have no further need for me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now