Talk

Advanced search

Best age to neuter?

(6 Posts)
converseconvert Mon 01-Oct-12 22:09:19

My puppy bear (long coat Akita) will be 6 months soon and I'm looking into getting him neutered. From google seems to be mixed response regarding age to neuter large breeds where some recommending 6 months and other suggesting between 10 months to a year. Does anybody know when is best time?

Also any ideas on cost? Going to phone vet in morning but looking to pre empt the shock if it is much more than the £100 I'm expecting (hoping for or there goes the Christmas shopping trip to Metro )

Blistory Mon 01-Oct-12 22:32:38

Can't help as every vet I've spoken to has a different opinion. Have decided to wait until my large girl is more mature as shes only 14 months and still hasn't stopped growing. Seems to be general agreement to wait longer for bigger dogs.

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 01-Oct-12 22:56:07

With males it is really not clear cut. But I would brace yourself for more than £100 for an Akita.

converseconvert Tue 02-Oct-12 00:33:23

I thought £100 was a bit optimistic.

iseenodust Thu 04-Oct-12 09:25:39

Our vet said 12months. We've got a lab.

converseconvert Fri 05-Oct-12 16:45:39

Vet saying anytime on from 6 months and around about £145 for weight just now upto £175 if wait until he's older/bigger so going to wait until around a year!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now