Talk

Advanced search

Puppy eating plaster

(6 Posts)
Goldmandra Sat 29-Sep-12 11:44:25

I took my eye off the ball for a while this morning and the puppy (10 mth terrier/collie cross) was left downstairs on her own for about 15 mins while I was helping poorly daughter and taking a phone call.

When I came down I found her licked a 2 inch by 1 inch hole in the wall by the front door. She's taken the wallpaper off and discarded it but seems to have actually eaten the missing plaster.

Please can someone melt me know

1. Could the plaster do her any harm?

2. How to stop her going back and eating more as she's tried several times just while I've been typing this.

3. Could this just be about boredom because a combination of DH working away and caring for a very poorly 9 year old has meant walk have been rare and short this week? She also couldn't go in the garden off the lead for the last couple of days because she's found a way out which DH will be fixing this morning.

ThunderboltKid Sat 29-Sep-12 16:42:51

Plaster won't hurt her - well it certainly didn't hurt mine!

Fix number 3 and 2 will solve itself! She is completely bored and therefore finding her own fun. If you can't take her out then you need to play with her or do lots if short, regular training sessions inside.

FrustratedSycamorePants Sat 29-Sep-12 16:50:46

Get her a bone and lots of toys to chew on. And be careful she doesn't go for the door frame too. mine didn't do that, nope nope nope blush

Goldmandra Sat 29-Sep-12 17:16:56

Thanks both of you. I'm glad I don't need to go the the vet and confess to having allowed her to eat plaster shock

We have fixed the fence so she can't get out again. She was so disappointed that she sat and cried when she realised she couldn't get over it to go and tear round the field any more.

She's had a long walk and a lovely afternoon in the garden with us pinching everything we put down and trying to attack the chainsaw and the loppers so hopefully the boredom is reduced. DH will be around to walk her for the next few days if DD doesn't get any better.

I love buying her new exciting toys to destroy so I will be using your advice as an excuse tomorrow to go and get some grin

FrustratedSycamorePants Sat 29-Sep-12 17:22:34

If you get a rope one, soak it in water and stick it in the freezer overnight, that keeps them occupied for a bit.
Ours likes these But not to leave unaccompanied with as not an actual dog toy, but thy do take a lot of playing dc broke it before dog could

Goldmandra Sat 29-Sep-12 19:58:09

Wow! Those look fab but I don't think I could deal with the shrill barking one of those would trigger. She already deafens me every time I vacuum, dry my hair, or let the children play with remote control toys!

We already have a few rope toys so I will try the freezing trick. Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now