Talk

Advanced search

dog barking

(7 Posts)
tazzy65 Fri 28-Sep-12 07:00:29

Any ideas how to stop my little jack Russell going mad when anyone knocks on our door or posts something through the letter box, he barks and barks not listening to me if i tell him to stop, have tried praising and telling him off..... help !!

OhSoSimple Fri 28-Sep-12 10:08:53

Well you can buy some spray (you don't spray it at the dog, don't let them see it!) makes a loud hissing sound. When they bark give it a spray. This worked when our shih tzu used to whinge whenever I went out of sight.

However, I don't think this would have ever worked on my old JRT! They are definitely very stubborn little dogs and in the end I learnt to live with the barking as other than tha she was perfect!

I'm sure someone will be along in a minute with some very good training advice,but I feel your pain!

Bubblemoon Fri 28-Sep-12 11:37:21

My JRT cross is a fantastic girl, but loves the sound of her own voice....no idea where she gets it from!

I'm trying this plan which I read about...early days, but who knows, it might work.

You choose a set place for your dog - in my case her woolly mat. You teach him to go there and sit quietly on a given command e.g. "mat" and reward him with a favourite treat when he does it. Keep practicing til he's brilliant at it. Then, get a willing friend to knock the door/put something through the letter box, at which point you give the "mat" command. You reward him when (or in our case, if) he goes there. Repeat, possibly for 13 years until, hey presto, when the door is knocked or postie delivers, he goes automatically to the mat and sits quietly in anticipation of a lovely treat.

OldBagWantsNewBag Fri 28-Sep-12 11:56:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tazzy65 Fri 28-Sep-12 18:55:10

thankyou for all the useful idea's will getting putting them into practise. !!

Aquelven Fri 28-Sep-12 21:28:15

Ah terriers, don't you just love 'em? They all love the sound of their own voice, I've got five.
The squirty water bottle doesn't work with mine, in fact it makes the Skyes much, much worse as the tea her at obedience training found to her cost. From just my two barking she found she had a class full of them after they set the rest off. Nothing she did would shut them up, might be why we got banned eh?

The only thing that works sometimes with my lot is getting them to sit & be quiet before I answer the door.

Whatever you do don't shout at him or you'll just encourage him as he'll think you're joining in the fun!

Aquelven Fri 28-Sep-12 21:28:53

Teacher.....not tea her!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now