Talk

Advanced search

My sighthound puppy is faulty.

(12 Posts)
D0oinMeCleanin Thu 27-Sep-12 10:38:50

You know how they're known as the 35mph couch potato? Well he has the 35mph bit down perfectly, it's the couch potato part that is broken.

He is permanently stuck on "Haven't been out yet so must bounce" mode. No matter how long we walk for hmm

Recall is also broken. I can successfully recall him away from people, children, dogs on leads and dogs walking to heel, but if he finds a dog who will chase him or let him chase them I might as well just go home and leave him to it <sigh>

He played chase with a collie today. And a terrier. And a retriever. And just nothing. He spent 20 minutes splashing in a small pond created by a broken pipe. We were out for almost two hours. You'd think he'd be doing the couch potato bit now, no? Well he's not. He's playing chase in the house with the whippet.

Does anyone else have a dog who needs walking or training with for eleventy million hours a day?

Yes. I do.

I have a staffy who is quite simply loopy.

Nothing tires him out. His recall is also broken. After calling him 17 times, he may come back. Or he may just look at me.

I know he is laughing at me.

He spent 15 minutes chasing a plastic bottle this morning.
I bought him to work with me today. He is currently running up and down the corridor chasing a shadow. He has been doing that for 25 minutes.

Yes. He is also loopy when out, and today started a fighty game with a collie puppy. They rolled around for a good ten minutes making noises as though all the legions of Hades were upon us. Then he wouldn't come back and I had to sit in the field with a gravy bone twixt my fingers for another ten minutes before he'd come back. Everything excites him.

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Thu 27-Sep-12 11:02:03

My Mums Lab. She was permanently crazed and wired and the world was her playground.

She is 15 this November, incontinent, on pain killers, her back legs give out and she breathes like someone on a dirty chat line.

My Mum paniced about 3 weeks ago as she couldn't find her, and was checking under bushes in the garden in case she had collapsed or gone off to die sad

A knock on the door indicated she had managed somehow, to scale the wall, escape and attempt to play whizzies with the neighbors pointer. Admittedly very slow, wobbly whizzies but whizzies nonetheless. My Mum was thrilled, as a triumphant knackered Chocolate Labrador staggered into the house and collapsed grin

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 27-Sep-12 11:15:32

I have decided that once Devil Dog has completed his bronze award I am going to put puppy in for it and then maybe progress to agility when he is old enough, providing he is still with us. There is no sign of anyone adopting him yet sad

He needs an active home where he can get out for two good runs a day, but all people see when they go to the meet and greets to see him is a large, bouncing ball of muscle.

He does a really good impression of a kangaroo on acid grin

He's fun. I love him really. I just wish he'd slow down a bit in the house. Watching him run is awesome. He's a great cure for the blues. Whenever I am feeling a bit down I take him out to let him run. I always come home with a smile on my face, one day I might even come home with a tired out puppy [hopeful]

DH doesn't like him. He thinks he is too demanding sad

Your mum's lab sound great Invisible. We had a doberman growing up who was like that. Two days before she passed away she was out doing zoomies with my friend's terrier puppy.

I would love for loopy pup to do his bronze.

However the lovely lady who does his puppy training class said very sympathetically "it might be a while before he's ready"

pimmsgalore Thu 27-Sep-12 13:01:34

Doin my lab collie cross is mad, he spent an hour in the forest swimming, chasing shadows and not stopping at all today. He is now throwing his kong around the lounge and I know that I will need to take him out for another hour long walk later or he will chase DD all over the house when she gets home from school.

purplepansy Thu 27-Sep-12 20:10:33

He's only little though! He will relax with age - I have one about 2 yrs old, and she's lovely now, flops on any soft flooring available, but runs like the wind when you take her out. (The recall away from dogs that want to play chase, well...we've not quite got that sorted)

purplepansy Thu 27-Sep-12 20:12:55

Also find going out for a run with her rather than a walk seems to settle her more, I don't know why - only reason I can think of is that she is on her lead, and so has to run at my pace, and so it is more like running in a pack?

D0oinMeCleanin Thu 27-Sep-12 21:33:08

Running? <faints>

Are you trying to kill me?

InvisibleHotPinkWeasel Thu 27-Sep-12 23:22:49

My friends Dad has always had lurchery dogs. He got given an 8 month old that a family in the village couldn't cope with .... That dog was the one that went EVERYWHERE with him grin, he trained it constantly so it was well behaved enough to do so.

About 4 years later it defected. Switched allegiance to his wife and a place by the Aga and was content for two walks a day with the others grin but he maintains it was overnight. As if the dog suddenly woke up that moment and thought "hey it's time to slow down, I don't need to be moving constantly for 11 hours a day!"

mistlethrush Fri 28-Sep-12 10:27:13

We had a collie cross who you couldn't tire out. 3 walks and 2 sessions of ball throwing (until you were tired) during the day, then a 9pm when you were flaked out in the sitting room, she would find a toy and bring it to you to play with with her - and if you didn't play with that one she would bring a different one (you could see her deciding which one to get, remembering where she'd left it and ignoring other options on the way to get it). It was only sorted out when we got a puppy for her to play with who turned out to be a collie terrier cross. The two of them would play for hours and hours in the garden (my parents had nearly 1/2 an acre, rather peculiar shaped, so lots of running room) and regularly wear ruts in the lawn in certain places from running. Mistledog joined in when we got her - and added routes through the two ponds to add to the fun of the chase grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now