Talk

Advanced search

I know it's been done to death, but I need a harness

(10 Posts)

My 14 month old cocker/springer cross is a tad, er, excitable when he first gets outside for a walk. After a run, he's reasonably well behaved on a lead, but initially it's hard work. I currently use an Easy Walk harness, but it's rubbing under his front legs and tbh it loosens very quickly and is a PITA to keep adjusting. As he can be a little nervy around other on lead dogs, I'd rather not use a face harness. Any good recommendations? I let him off to run twice a day, so ideally it'll be something that won't rub when he's doing his bullet impression. Oh, and he swims. A lot.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 26-Sep-12 20:49:02

Ha - no suggestions, sorry.

I use a halti thing over his nose when he absolutely has to be on the lead but he still pulls (although not with quite the same impetus), but I can't yank him back as I worry about hurting him.

Bastard spaniels.

Having said that, off the lead he will, bizarrely, walk behind me confused but obviously I cannot trust him to be like that other than in very controlled situations, or where there is no danger of him seeing something and pissing off.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 26-Sep-12 20:49:50

Mine swims a lot as well. He has rotted many collars and has a permanent rust mark round his neck.

toboldlygo Wed 26-Sep-12 20:54:02

Must it be a harness? They tend to facilitate pulling, you're anchoring yourself to the most powerful part of the dog, leaving the head and neck free to snake around and do as they please, plus for many breeds having that resistance on their chest and pulling against it is rewarding in itself.

That said... I use Manmat shoulder harnesses, they are the best of many I've tried over the years. Fit well, no rubbing, dry quickly. smile

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 26-Sep-12 20:56:28

I am ashamed to confess that having developed all sorts of walking issues since getting my dog, I let him pull me up hills and steps or to support my weight on dodgy ground. Might as well harness his strength and utilise it.

pimmsgalore Wed 26-Sep-12 21:05:05

I use one of these with my lab collie cross he doesn't pull normally (well after last weeks lead walking boot camp he doesn't ) but he is really well behaved in this, swims in it, cycles in it and runs with it on. I know its expensive but mine loves it

silverangel Fri 28-Sep-12 22:23:06

We use Easy Dog - think it might actually be Eazy. Fab, comfy, dry quickly. My Cairn terrier almost walks quite well with it on, instead of honking like an angry goose when on his collar.

UterusUterusGhali Sat 29-Sep-12 00:32:20

I got a puppia for my staffing which I liked but didn't fit because of her huge neck/shoulders. I gave it to the rescue centre after one go. It might be ok for a regular necked dog. Very soft.

I have an easy dog which I think comes up too high into her throat tbh.
She deffinately walks better with one on.

My last dog didn't need a lead though and o hate any kind of dog/string dangly interface. It's only temporary until I have her well trained. Except she's a terrier. So may be some time.

UterusUterusGhali Sat 29-Sep-12 00:34:25

Might try that Pimms! I have been fastening a head torch to my gal at night blush

Floralnomad Sat 29-Sep-12 09:50:33

We use a doxlock which is very sturdy and easy to get on/off . Also easy to clean and dry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now