Talk

Advanced search

My house is not a toilet!

(10 Posts)
Binkyridesagain Wed 26-Sep-12 09:52:51

HELP, I'm tearing my hair out.
I have a 5 year old, unspayed staffy X. She has been living with me for about 6 weeks now. He previously past owners kept her chained permenantly outside for the past 2 years.
She is very very affectionate and the family love her but her one and only problem is she keeps soiling in the house, she is taken for 2x 45 min walks every day (at least,) she is let out first thing in the morning, 10 mins after eating and then approx every 2 hours throughout the day. No matter how often or for how long she is outside, she will come back in, wait until we are distracted and soil in her favourite spot, we have barricaded the area off but my other dog has taught her how to get there.
Whilst the area was barricaded she found a new area, each time she is denied an area she will find a new favourite spot.
She rarely goes outside but when she does she is praised for it, she's not treat orientated, if she soils inside we don't tell her off.

Can someone please give me some ideas on how to sort this and any cleaning techniques.

PuddinAforeDinner Wed 26-Sep-12 10:47:56

Binkyridesagain, you have my sympathy as I have similar problem at the moment with my Dog spraying hmm.

You seem to be doing everything I would do, taking her out often, praising when she goes etc. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will be along shortly to help you more.

One thing I would suggest, when you clean up the area use a bit of biological washing powder. This seems to get rid of the scent better. If you use a pine dissinfectant then that can encourage them.

Sorry I can't help further.

Binkyridesagain Wed 26-Sep-12 10:52:12

The biological powder is very helpful, I have tried the cleaners you can buy they don't work and also got a suggestion of t'internet about using white vinegar, which isn't working. I will be off out in a while for the powder and will probably spend this afternoon on my hands and knees. Fingers crossed it will work

paddythepooch Wed 26-Sep-12 16:07:44

am having similar problems myself and someone suggested mopping up the wee with a newspaper then puttin that near the back door so they will tend to go there again and it is a simple matter of opening the door and booting them (v gently of course) out

PuddinAforeDinner Thu 27-Sep-12 10:42:38

Hi Binkyridesagain, just thought I would check in and see how its going.

I hope you are finding small improvements.

purplepansy Thu 27-Sep-12 20:26:16

Have you tried one called 'simple solution'? It's meant to totally remove the smell so they don't 'remember' where to go. It worked for us and as you just spray it on and leave it to dry there is less mess than washing powder as no bubbles and it is clear so doesn't dry as a white patch. We got some from pets at home.

EasyToEatTiger Fri 28-Sep-12 14:37:16

We like Simple Solution too! I also bought a steam cleaner, which is BRILLIANT! It zaps everything and before you know it, the smell and everything have been vapourized! They can be quite expensive. I got our one 2nd hand for a tenner. Our youngest dog peed and pooed in the house when he first lived with us. Yuck. Remember when you are cleaning up to clean any bits of furniture, walls etc that might have wee on it too. You'll get there!

hippermiddleton Fri 28-Sep-12 14:45:36

Is there any way you can 'contain' her in one room for a few days, to reinforce the going outside routine and break the indoor habit? When I house trained our puppy I basically kept him under constant supervision in the kitchen (or in his crate if I couldn't watch him), and if he showed any signs of wanting to wee, I whisked him out - as well as doing the 'on the hour/after meals/after play/after sleep' routine, which is easier for a puppy than for a grown dog.

The expert advice always seems to be to give your dog more chance of getting it right than wrong, so if you limit her chances of weeing indoors, she'll be more likely to make the connection between weeing outdoors and you being really thrilled with her.

And yes to Simple Solution. I got through two enormous bottles...

UterusUterusGhali Sat 29-Sep-12 00:38:43

Marking place as my Staffy is similar.

The bio washing powder/liquid has not helped a jot. I will look out for the Simple Solution. Where can you buy it?

Binkyridesagain Mon 01-Oct-12 14:02:38

I have some Simple Solution on order from my local pet shop which should arrive tomorrow, so I'll be blitzing the house.

She has only had one accident in 2 days so it is getting better.

I have also put the dog crate up for those times I can not be with her, confining her to room doesn't work as she will soil at one end and sleep at the other, we have only tried it a couple if times but after a couple if minutes whimpering she settles down.

We will get there, eventually.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now