Talk

Advanced search

can all dogs manage stairs?

(11 Posts)
Nancy66 Sun 23-Sep-12 17:32:14

that may be a completely daft question but I am clueless about dogs as I don't own one.

However, my mum has decided she wants one for 'company'. She lives alone in a first floor flat - just one staircase. Would all dogs be ok with this?

If there are any breeds that could be recommended I'd be grateful. My mum is pretty fit and walks every day so exercise isn't an issue.

MoreBeta Sun 23-Sep-12 17:39:04

I would not recommend very small ('toy') breeds as they will likey have to be carrie dup and down the steps.

I would not recommend breeds like Dachsunds with long backs and short legs as they are notorious for having back problems from climbing stairs.

MaggotMummy Sun 23-Sep-12 17:56:15

As she is in a flat I agree with the above and also add not something that has a reputation for barking, it would drive the neighbours mad!
A whippet would be lovely, easy to train them to not bark, bound up stairs and love a good cuddle.
she could consider a rescue society, have someone's pet who is used to being a companion?

Nancy66 Sun 23-Sep-12 18:30:00

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, she would definitely consider a rescue dog.

GraceVentura Sun 23-Sep-12 18:32:55

Some dogs can't manage stairs when they get old and arthritic - so maybe best to stick with a small one that can be carried if necessary?

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Sun 23-Sep-12 18:57:44

Not a retired greyhound either, as lovely as they are, as a general rule, ex racing greys can't do stairs. They can do stairs with time, persuasion and high value treats but obviously that's not ideal if you live in a flat grin

MothershipG Sun 23-Sep-12 19:17:20

I have a toy breed (Affenpinschers) and they race up and down stairs easily and when they get too old and can't manage them they will be easy to carry. smile

LadyTurmoil Sun 23-Sep-12 23:33:42

would a whippet manage stairs? This one sounds lovely and very easy! www.manytearsrescue.org/display_mtar_dog.php?id=425 (and I swear I don't work for MT, just hope that dogs find homes!)

GrimmaTheNome Sun 23-Sep-12 23:47:18

Although our dachshunds seem fine with stairs (and mountains!) the breed hobby is barking so probably not ideal for a flat so she should move to a bungalow.

I would guess that houstraining a pup is significantly harder in a flat so a grownup rescue dog might be a very good idea. A smallish heinz57 might well be the answer rather than any particular breed.The rescue should be able to advise whether it'd be suitable for a flat or not.

TheGOLDCunnyFunt Mon 24-Sep-12 07:20:23

A whippet would be fine with stairs smile

Aquelven Mon 24-Sep-12 18:24:16

I have tiny dogs, Yorkies and very long, low dogs, Skyes, and all of them race up & down the stairs like nobody's business.

Always found that puppies learn to go upstairs much sooner than they learn to go back down which involves lots of exercise going up to carry down whining puppies. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now