Talk

Advanced search

Travel Sick Puppy.

(5 Posts)
Sassybeast Sun 23-Sep-12 16:14:05

Any top tips ? She's approx 5 months old now and we've had her home from the rescue place for about a month. We don't take her in the car very often, but every time we do, she starts to salivate loads - drool literally pouring from her mouth and then she vomits.
Have tried not taking her in the car for a couple of hours after food but it doesn't seem to help. She perks up as soon as she's actually been sick but it's obviously miserable for her.
Help!

daisydotandgertie Sun 23-Sep-12 17:20:12

I'd say it sounds like fear, so she needs to start getting more used to the car.

Let her hop in and out without going anywhere - treats each time, feed her in the car, offer treats in the car. Let her learn that the car is just a normal place without the pressure of a journey.

Then if a journey happens, pop her in the car, treat and then ignore her completely during the journery. Not a soothe, not a word, not a thing. Chat as normal, sing a song. Anything so she doesn't pick up that you are concerned about her because if she does, she will assume there is something to be concerned about.

UltimateDetermination Sun 23-Sep-12 18:06:32

We got some tablets from pets at home - and our puppy has only been sick once in the car since (today! When we hadn't given them enough time to work). Worth a shot?

UltimateDetermination Sun 23-Sep-12 18:07:23

Someone else also suggested a ginger biscuit before they travel - no first hand experience of this though!

Sassybeast Tue 25-Sep-12 17:08:16

Thanks Daisy - I had (wrongly ) assumed that because she jumps into the car with no problems that it wasn't related to fear but will definately try your tips. I think now on reflection that I have been giving off anxious vibes to her so will be aware of that as well smile

And thanks Ultimate - I wasn't sure if such a thing existed so will keep that idea in reserve smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now