Talk

Advanced search

12 week old puppy has just growled and 'gone for' 10mo ds

(51 Posts)
LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:44:30

He crawled past him and put his had on his paw..

I don't know what to do sad

We have done tonnes of positive reinforcement. Is it still early days? I'm actually distraught..

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:47:11

Anyone?

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:47:29

Shameless bump

bamboobutton Fri 21-Sep-12 17:47:59

It's way to early, the pup would normally still be with its mum and playfighting with its litter mates.

Keep your baby away from the pup, or vice versagrin

hattifattner Fri 21-Sep-12 17:49:49

agree with bamboo - pups play fight with litter mates and nip - def keep your baby away from him when puppy is in the mood for a scrap.

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Fri 21-Sep-12 17:50:28

I assume ds is ok? Don't over react though. They are both very young. I know bugger all about puppies really though so can't help much but it sounds like you've put in good foundations. Sure somebody will be along soon with help.

In the mean time keep both your babies in seperate zones and have a cup of tea. You've had a shock and you need it. Maybe out a jumper on too. I bet you feel cold don't you?

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:51:37

No it really wasn't playing. He snapped and growled.

I wouldn't be worried if it was playful.

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:52:31

My heart hit my feet northern sad

He's such a jolly little dog.

NatashaBee Fri 21-Sep-12 17:52:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:55:30

We don't want to lock him away sad is that my only option?

They have been really goo together. And tbh there couldn't have been any pain DS merely brushed his paw with his hand. He didn't weight bare on it.

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 17:56:59

And no DS wasn't hurt. Tbh he didn't bat an eyelid.

Northernlurkerisbackatwork Fri 21-Sep-12 18:03:24

Has the puppy been outside? Just wondering if he's picked up a grass seed or something in his paw making it sore already?

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 18:07:10

Yes he's fully vaccinated. I've checked his paws and leg. He's gone out for a walk bow with DP.

He's an ace little dog. He's really well behaved but it's just this. It's really upset me.

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 18:07:29

*now

bamboobutton Fri 21-Sep-12 18:12:46

have you got a dog crate where he can go? don't see it as locking him away, see it as his little sanctuary where only the pup is allowed.

Giddypants Fri 21-Sep-12 18:14:38

Don't worry 12 weeks is still really young he is getting to know his boundaries, did you tell the dog off and put him in his bed, puppies hate isolation and this would have sent a clear message to him.
He was probably taken by surprise by your DC and that was the first reaction.

Spero Fri 21-Sep-12 18:15:34

It sounds like a warning? If the dog had wanted to 'go for him' I imagine he would. Sounds like he got hurt in some way and it was a warning to stay off. When I got my dog I remember reading that you shouldn't try to inhibit the growl response because it is such a useful warning that the dog is upset about something.

You need to keep an eye on the situation as your child is so young - my dog as a puppy had a good few weeks of racing around and mouthing everything in sight until she learned this wasn't ok, but my daughter was six and could fend her off.

CharlieMumma Fri 21-Sep-12 18:16:13

12 weeks is very tiny your baby probably hurt him or scared him. You need to keep the baby away from the puppy as neither is old enough to understand the needs or behaviour of the other. Don't worry about the growl just don't put pup in that situation again

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 18:47:27

Thank you for your responses. We've been do careful! I was watching them when it happened.

We have got a crate he goes in at night and if ever we leave him in his own in the day. He has a big blanket over it and he uses it as his den.

I'm a little reassured now thank you all x

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 18:47:40

Do = so

feminewiles Fri 21-Sep-12 18:57:49

Have you got a cage? I have a 12 week old bulldog and he can be quite rough, but is just playing, make sure that if he is feeling snappy that you give him some time out. This isn't a punishment but just space for both. What breed do u have?

laptopcomputer Fri 21-Sep-12 19:00:52

12 week old puppies don't "go for" people, he is a tiny baby, albeit a doggy one.

Flojo1979 Fri 21-Sep-12 19:03:44

U need to keep them apart, both r so young. I do wonder why u got a puppy when u have a 10 month old baby and didn't wait a few yrs. Babies and toddlers rarely mix well with pets!

LST Fri 21-Sep-12 19:05:59

I have a border collie.

We got him now as I have always grown up with dogs and we felt the time was right.

EdgarAllanPond Fri 21-Sep-12 19:06:52

baby needs a playpen, puppy needs a crate.

keeps them both separate, and happy...

even the most even tempered dog can feel terrorised by babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now