Talk

Advanced search

Training the dog to do his business in a certain spot, any tips?

(11 Posts)
YankNCock Mon 16-Jul-12 23:08:12

Dog is nearly 2, normally does most of his pee and poo when on walks in morning and evening.

He was neutered at 6 months, doesn't lift his leg when he goes, and doesn't really seem to mark his territory at all, so there are limited opportunities to reinforce him going in the right place/discourage from going in the wrong place, as he seems to go quite infrequently, even when let out into the garden during the day.

Our garden project took a few months, and before the turf was down I'd catch him weeing and pooing on the bark path. So while we were putting turf down, I made a small corner area in the garden for him with bark and a border where I'd like him to go.

Now he doesn't seem interested in going on the bark in either place, instead goes on the turf, and we're getting dead patches of grass with circles of taller grass around. I can't catch him doing it to discourage him, and I'm unsure how I can let him know that corner is for him to go in! I'm sure I've seen products that are meant to help you train your dog to go in a certain area, but are they just for puppies? Would they work on an older dog?

Any ideas how to get him to use his doggie toilet before the turf gets wrecked?

Nigglenaggle Tue 17-Jul-12 21:59:40

Does the bark splash back at him? They like to go in quite absorbent areas for this reason (and cant fault it!)

YankNCock Wed 18-Jul-12 00:11:23

No, it's quite absorbent, and he seemed to like going on the bark path where he wasn't meant to go (before the turf was down)! Not sure why he's avoiding/not noticed the corner where I've put down the same bark. I'm sure somewhere I saw this post thingy that was supposed to encourage dogs to wee on it, but since he's not a leg lifter I didn't think it would work for him....

rogersmellyonthetelly Wed 18-Jul-12 09:05:38

I have the same problem. I'm setting up the kids sandpit which is no longer used as a dog loo with bark in it- she prefers
Bark to mud but sadly prefers my lawn to bark!
No idea how I'm going to persuade her to go in there though!

Jajas Wed 18-Jul-12 09:12:25

Mine goes on the gravel path right next to the garden gate which is just hideous! He has loads of other space to relieve himself in but no he has to leave a huge dump of poo just for some unsuspecting visitor to step into grrrr!

I bought some deterrent spray which I diligently sprayed on the whole path and of course it has flipping rained loads since so I've no idea if it would have worked or not angry!

Loveleopardprint Wed 18-Jul-12 19:03:32

I have seen wee posts in pets at home which encourage dogs to wee next to them. Haven't used one though do not sure if useful.

Nigglenaggle Fri 20-Jul-12 20:14:23

If training fails have you tried this?

http://www.dogrocks.co.uk/

Have no personal experience of it I'm afraid - but maybe worth a try!

YankNCock Fri 20-Jul-12 23:14:53

I saw both the dog rocks and the wee post, couldn't decide which to get! Maybe both when payday comes around!

SilverSky Sat 21-Jul-12 04:19:07

Apparently ketchup on the grass where the dog has peed helps neutralise the acid and keeps the grass green!

YankNCock Sat 21-Jul-12 08:50:39

The main problem with treating the grass after he's gone is that we have a hard time catching him--he is a stealthy pee type! Takes his time about it and only seems to go when you aren't looking/nearby. I think he is shy.

isabellaevans Mon 20-May-13 09:35:12

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now