Talk

Advanced search

Would like a rescue dog but I have a baby and a young child!

(12 Posts)
LittleB Sun 23-Oct-11 23:01:55

I have looked at a few rescue centres locally and many will only rehome dogs to homes with older children, why is this and where else should I look? I know we will be good owners, we lost our toller, aged 4, to cancer a few weeks ago (heartbroken - he was a gorgeous boy - I posted on here about chemo) and are all missing owning a dog. We had 2 rescue collie crosses before that and me and dh grew up with dogs in our own families. We would like a medium size dog, lab/retriever/setter/springer type (steering away from collies now as I think thats best with little children), aged 1 yr-6yrs. But I have 2 dc's the youngest is 10mths, oldest 6yrs. I know I would need to work hard with a new dog to make sure children and dogs are used to each other, never left alone together, plenty of stairgates in situ. I've always believed its as much about teaching children to behave well around dogs as the other way around. We have a secure garden, live in a rural town with lots of lovely walks nearby. I work part time (2 days per week) but my mum comes to my house to look after my baby while I work so would keep any dog company, helped care for my last dog, she has her own rescue retriever. Why is it so hard to find a rescue dog? We'd love to give an older dog a chance rather than buying a pup. Any tips or should I just give up?

LittleB Sun 23-Oct-11 23:16:22

Thought I better add that we live in Somerset, we will travel for the right dog, but not too far with dc's. can anyone recopmmend good rescue centres near us. Have looked at a few locally (online and visited) but nothing suitable that they will home to us; fed up of reading 'lovely family dog, suitable with children over 8' etc!

MrHeadlessMan Sun 23-Oct-11 23:26:14

Get in touch with your local RSPCA branch. They do have rehoming guidelines but this is to do with you providing suitable environment and care for the animal - enough space, not too much time alone, walks, etc. With young kids they will steer you to the right type of breed & personality.

DaisySteiner Mon 24-Oct-11 06:48:09

Have you looked at Many Tears? It doesn't say that they do rehome with young children, but it doesn't say that they don't iyswim?!

I live in Somerset and got in touch with Happy Landings in Pylle who were very helpful. They said they sometimes get what they call 'bombproof' dogs if you are prepared to wait.

Hope that helps

Elibean Mon 24-Oct-11 09:07:27

Dorset Dogs, and Many Tears, and Happy Landings (though they have fewer than the other two, by quite a lot). I have a 4 year old and just rehomed from MT, they foster many of their dogs out so you could look for one not too far from you - IME the process of watching their website is totally compulsive wink

Dorset Dogs foster out a lot, have a lot of lab/spaniel types, am sure eventually you would find a family friendly woofer there too.

All I know about Happy Landings is that they have been hugely helpful in rehoming feral kittens my uncle (who lives in Somerset) has helped out. He has many good things to say about them.

And I"m very sorry for the loss of your boy sad

chickchickchicken Mon 24-Oct-11 09:18:26

sorry about the loss of your boy. i remember you posting about him

some smaller independent rescues will rehome to people with younger children. i dont know of any to recommend but hopefully some other posters will. i think your situation sounds ideal for a dog. have you thought about explaining the above to rescues?

i particularly like the part about teaching children to behave well around dogs. so true smile

Scuttlebutter Mon 24-Oct-11 12:37:39

Have you had a look at Greyhound Rescue West of England? They have some absolutely gorgeous dogs, both greyhounds and lurchers, many of which are child friendly. They have currently got some adorable lurcher pups which I was drooling over. smile

LittleB Mon 24-Oct-11 14:56:00

Thanks everyone. Hadn't heard of dorset dogs before so will look there. I have searched many tears, nothing currently suitable for us in a 3hr radius but will keep looking. I had looked at Happy landings and they don't have anything now, although they have a lab that looks lovely and they say is a great family dog but not with under 5's so I'll give them a call and register my details. I visited heavensgate (NAWT) and left my details as they don't have anything now. I have tried the local rspca centres, and blue cross. I will just need to be more patient and keep searching, register my details everywhere so that the right dog can find us. Sorry scuttlebutter, not so keen on lurchers and greyhounds, not really cuddly enough for us!
We would rather get a grown dog than a pup (can't really expect my mum to clean up after a pup while looking after my ds - acting a company and cuddles to an adult dog is easier!) and also concerned about puppies teething on babies and their toys!
Thanks for the sympathy about my poor dog, he was a lovely boy and it was so sad as he was only 4, but I can reassure myself that even though his life was short he had a good life. Even on his last day with no appetite and numerous tumours he managed a swim in the river and run in the field, he was still a happy boy!

DooinMeCleanin Mon 24-Oct-11 15:06:17

I would just like to point out that I foster a Greyhound and my Dad has two Lurchers. All three of them are very cuddly. My Greyhound comes to bed with Dh, which is always after me. Every night she wakes me up giving me a goodnight kiss.

I spent Saturday night attempting to drink with one Whippet curled around my shoulders and a Lurcher pushing as far into me as he possibly could. It was very cosy and warm.

They are excellent, calm and affectionate dogs to have around children. I didn't used to like them either, too skinny and lanky for my liking, but you have to get to know them.

hollyfly Mon 24-Oct-11 20:11:54

Lots of greyhounds are so so loving!! My girly grey is very licky, this is the main way she shows affection- but she also noses my legs gently for affection and comes in close for lots of full body hugs. She loves it when I lie on her bed next to her- she rests her head on my arm and dozes happily. And the greyhound bows! She bows and snorts when she's excited before a walk, does a stretch bow every morning when she gets up and another one when I come home from work. I love my grey so much- I can't imagine anyone not loving a greyhound if they've spent a proper amount of time with one.

DejaWho Mon 24-Oct-11 21:54:18

Trouble with the bows is - mine lets rip the loudest most un-ladylike farts going when she bows... kind of ruins the effect somewhat!

She's also very very licky and affectionate, although is about to get told off for having booted the cushions off the sofa so she could fit teddy on to lie down next to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now