Talk

Advanced search

dog with sore skin :(

(14 Posts)
lisad123 Sat 22-Oct-11 21:32:16

Noticed my boy biting himself, but his made himself sore sad
Its not fleas as we keep upto date (but plan to change make as Im not 100% sure this one works well now), and last vet visit said no fleas, just a little flakey skin. Its got worse sad
Im going to take him to vet on monday, but wondering if someone here can recommend something to bath him in to help soothe his skin.

kid Sat 22-Oct-11 22:35:34

My dog has a bacterial skin infection atm and had to have a steroid injection plus an antibiotic injection. The vet also gave us some special shampoo. I don't kniw the name of it but I do know it cost £25 a bottle!
I was told I could bath his scabby skin in cooled boiled water and salt.

PersonalClown Sat 22-Oct-11 22:38:20

Sure it's not an allergy to something??

We're pretty sure that Synyster has wheat allergy. His neck and paws get very red and inflamed when he's having a reaction.

lisad123 Sat 22-Oct-11 23:55:04

we havent changed his food at all, but theres alot of sap from the woods behide the house, theres new grass seeds down on the field, and i sprayed some fabric fresher on the sofa and rug.
Its his back leg, bottom area and his side.
will bath him tomorrow on salt water.

misdee Sun 23-Oct-11 07:32:45

oh poor mr t.

twooter Sun 23-Oct-11 07:47:43

Could be anal glands.

Lizcat Sun 23-Oct-11 10:24:30

If you bath him before you see the vet I am afraid you will remove the vast majority of the evidence which will help the vet work out what is going on.

lisad123 Sun 23-Oct-11 10:35:49

oh ok, will hold off, i just hate seeing him so sore sad will take him up tomorrow.

lisad123 Sun 23-Oct-11 10:37:47

just looked up anal gland issue and yuck but no def not that smile

smartyparts Sun 23-Oct-11 12:07:39

Malaseb shampoo is fantastic, but I think you need a prescription for it.

toboldlygo Sun 23-Oct-11 16:08:04

I wouldn't disregard a food allergy, they can crop up at any time even without a change of feed and typically manifests as a skin problem. What feed is it, does it contain wheat?

PersonalClown Sun 23-Oct-11 17:10:10

Yep Toboldlygo.

My Staffy was 18 months old when his allergy kicked in. He is now on a cereal free food and treats. Good job the Doodle inhales anything resembling food.

But we have to check all brands as he's allergic to Brewers yeast as we found out when we tried Arden Grange treats.

lisad123 Sun 23-Oct-11 17:53:46

His on nature diet as we tried a few dry foods including Jwb. I have considered some sort of allergy, will see what vet says

misdee Sun 23-Oct-11 20:18:59

What treats do u use? I think ralphs ear issues are linked to me buying dog biscuits instead of the usual meaty treats like freeze dried liver.

I had a look at the natures diet and it containd rice and potatoes, both of which we don't give ralph as it upsets his tum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now