Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Companion for Disabled Lady, any ideas?

(9 Posts)
slightlymad72 Wed 19-Oct-11 16:23:01

My DDs grandma is disabled, she has little stamina when walking and can only walk about 10/15 metres outside, inside it is further due to using furniture etc.

ATM she has a Staffie, but it is her xpartners and it will shortly be moving out. She enjoys the companionship that the dog brings and would like to get a dog of her own but is unsure of which breed would be suitable.

It has be a good companion, not excitable, not high maintenece and can cope with not being walked everyday but it will have access to a yard approx 20'x15' and definantly not a yapper smile or a toy dog.

Any ideas of what to suggest? (I only have Border Collies so my experience on other breeds is limited)

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

slightlymad72 Wed 19-Oct-11 18:42:30

Thanks for replying.

I was thinking about a greyhound but you're right the walking is an issue, I'll get DD to point out that she might need to hire a dog walker if she can't find anyone that would be willing to do it for her, DD can help but not every day.

I wonder if she'll be open to the idea of a cat smile

GrimmaTheNome Wed 19-Oct-11 18:48:55

Why not 'toy' dogs? They are the ones specifically bred as companions rather than anything else, and will in general be more likely to manage with less walking. Surely better than a cat? grin

Our standard dachs - who isn't a toy dog - manages fine not being walked absolutely every day - he has several good ones in a week and a garden to run around. He'd be fine with say 4 good dogwalker sessions a week, I think. He's not a yapper, serious barker!

silentcatastrophe Wed 19-Oct-11 20:10:15

I was thinking about a greyhound too. Does your dd's granny have a wheelchair or any other way of getting about? Would she at least have access to a Pets as Therapy dog?

Quodlibet Wed 19-Oct-11 20:16:23

What about a senior rescue dog? I'm sure there are loads that have got to the stage where they don't need much walking and are overlooked by most people due to their age. Have a look at The Oldies Club

slightlymad72 Wed 19-Oct-11 20:40:52

Not a toy dog because she's worried about it getting under her feet and falling, a slightly bigger dog she finds easier when she's moving, easier to see I expect, the staffie and her have no problems negotiating each other.

She does have a wheelchair but needs a carer to push, which she no longer needs as she has fought for 18months to become independent of them, so when out and about she makes sure that she walks enough for exercise but not enough to put her back in the chair.

Senior rescue dogs sounds like a good idea. I'll get DD to suggest that.

I should point out that DDs grandma is not an old lady, she's 60 but has had 4 strokes hence the disabilities.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 20-Oct-11 08:46:41

Ah right, that's a very legitimate reason! Though (as ever) to some extent 'its the dog not the breed' with this too. Our current dachs is a major trip hazard, no denying. The last one never tripped us - he had the sense not to get under people's feet. And a friend of mine had a wonderful black eye caused by falling over her young lab!

For sure she needs a mature dog not a pup - a good rescue should be able to find a suitable match.

Lizcat Thu 20-Oct-11 09:02:58

What about contacting dogs for the disabled and she may then be able to get a dog that is not only her companion, but also able to help her and keep her independent. They will be trained to know about staying out from under feet etc. though I have to say the worst injury I have seen from a client tripping over their dog was due to a larger dog.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now