Talk

Advanced search

poor ralph :(

(7 Posts)
misdee Wed 19-Oct-11 13:39:46

he has a nasty ear infection in both ears sad

looks like it may be arecurring problem. thank goodness for top notch insurence.

multipoodles Wed 19-Oct-11 18:12:44

Poor, poor Ralph, he has inherited wooly poodle ears. Having owned numerous hairy poodle ears all my life I can recommend Thornit ear powder. Not always easy to find but you will definately get it on ebay. Follow directions, If I've one with bad ears I use it every day for 5 days, then about twice a week until cleared. It's marvellous stuff!!

misdee Wed 19-Oct-11 18:54:02

yup, he has poodle ears. he is due to have his ears done by the groomer next week, vet said it might be greasy due to the anti biotics drops,. but if the inflammation has cleared should be fine to do.

how often would you recommend getting a doodles/poodles ears done?

will have a look for thornit ear powder. we have been given this by the vet today to use twice a week once the infection has cleared up.

multipoodles Wed 19-Oct-11 21:26:23

From experience I prefer powder in poodle ears rather than drops as they clog up the ears, while the powder tends to keep them drier. Because I've always groomed my own poodles their ears are kept plucked and cleaned monthly, but client dogs were usually 6 week intervals. I know as Ralph is poodle cross he may not be at the groomer as often as that so you are probably best to keep on top of his ears yourself.

Thornit is amazing, the dirt just rolls out and ear dries up, also makes plucking easier as you can grip much better. I would say to clients if they can pluck little and often it keeps on top of the growth and is easier on the dog than plucking all in one go.

misdee Thu 20-Oct-11 07:37:33

looks like i need to practise my ear plucking. there is a groomer a short train ride away, so might see if i can et him booked in there once a month or see how much my mobile guy charges just for monthly ear plucking.

misdee Wed 26-Oct-11 10:35:15

Ears still infected. Got another appointment next week.

One ear is better, but he didn't let the vet get a good look in the other ear.

DogsBeastFiend Wed 26-Oct-11 11:37:05

Ouch! Poor lad. I recall how miserable my big-eared GSD2 was when he had an ear infection... and how awful I felt for him.

Kind wishes to you both, here's hoping for a very quick recovery (and hugs to Ralph). smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now