Talk

Advanced search

Had a crap vet appt today

(12 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Oct-11 22:42:03

only went for routine boosters and came out with a heart murmur and instructions to come back and have most of her teeth taken out.

First time that the heart murmur has been found. Vet said it's slight. Does this mean it'll get worse as she gets older? She's six yo. She had a dental twelve months ago where she had half her teeth out and it now looks like most of the remaining need to come out. I use plaque off, bones and dentastix. She won't let me brush her teeth at all. Twelve months on and they're a mess again. It cost £250 last time so now I have to find the money for that amount again.

I'm worried about the anaesthetic with her heart as well.

alice15 Fri 14-Oct-11 23:10:41

Don't worry too much about the murmur if it's slight - very common for them to appear at that age, and really not a problem with anaesthetics if slight - remember that room air is 20% oxygen, but when anaesthetised they are breathing much higher % oxygen (100%, often) and so that more than compensates for the GA. If her teeth are that bad she'll be much better off without them. My old dog only had 4 teeth for his last few years, and it never stopped him crunching biscuits or even having a go at bones!

VivaLeBeaver Fri 14-Oct-11 23:16:29

Thanks, that's reassuring. It's good to know about still being able to have ones as well, she loves her bones.

chickchickchicken Sat 15-Oct-11 15:46:16

sorry to hear that Viva. it must have been a shock when only going in for a booster

cant add to Alice's expert advice but didnt want to read and not post

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Oct-11 16:11:54

Thanks chick chick. She's been out for a run in the woods and doesnt seem bothered by this heart murmur at all. Plenty of energy. I'm going to have to talk to the vet about how much any medication she may need is likely to cost. She is insured but I'd been thinking of stopping the insurance as the price gets more and more every year. Obviously if meds are expensive I'll keep the insurance going.

prioneyes Sat 15-Oct-11 21:24:36

Heart meds may be expensive, particularly if she's a big dog. Hopefully it will be a long, long time before she needs them though, and she may not. Try not to worry about the murmur. It's honestly very common - I tell owners to think of it as part of the normal course of ageing, like grey hairs and wrinkles. I can't remember the exact statistic but something like 85% of dogs have a murmur by 11 years of age. If it becomes problematic in time then it is a hugely treatable condition and there are an awful lot of dogs living full and active lives in spite of it.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 15-Oct-11 21:55:27

Thanks Prioneyes. Maybe I'll drop the insurance, I'm paying £13 a month and in 3 years they've never paid out for anything yet. Its all either been under the £65 excess or to do with teeth that aren't covered.

Avantia Sun 16-Oct-11 09:48:37

Don't drop the insurance !

£13 a month is nothing when you have pay out alot of money unexpectedly !

Am going through it myself at moment with our dog and eye problems - expecting about £1500 back and we haven't finished treatment yet !

prioneyes Sun 16-Oct-11 09:53:40

Your premium and excess both sound very low to me! I think considering the potential cost of medication or treatment for injuries it is not a good idea to drop it, unless you have savings you would be happy to use if necessary of course.

Avantia Sun 16-Oct-11 13:24:15

Agree re premium - ours is £16 per month excess is £75 and our dog is 16 months !

Just don't drop it smile

VivaLeBeaver Sun 16-Oct-11 16:28:00

Ok, will keep the insurance. grin

Thanks.

blonderedhead Mon 17-Oct-11 00:46:47

The only thing I would check with your insurance is if it is the type that will only pay out per condition up to a year after it has been diagnosed. Our vet was great and made sure our dog was booked in for investigative work during the time he would be covered.

But definitely keep the insurance going. Our seemingly healthy dog spent over five grand of insurance money, far beyond what we had paid out. He was worth it though, and then some.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now