Talk

Advanced search

why have all the dogs i have found been jack russells?

(12 Posts)
misdee Thu 13-Oct-11 09:42:09

Are they the best escape artists?

Found one yesterday. No tag, but was chipped so we could take her to her home.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 13-Oct-11 09:46:39

They're hunters. If it runs they'll chase it till they catch it, they can niether see nor hear their frantic owner screaming for them to come back.

I only ever let my late JRT off in a wide, open (but fenced) space, where she would amuse herself for hours chaing Seagulls but couldn't escape.

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 09:47:58

yep, ours is like bloody houdini and fast especially if he sees something he wants. doesnt matter how happy they are, or how much they love you their home. they see a rabbit or something, thats it. gone.

<bitter>

misdee Thu 13-Oct-11 09:57:16

Lol!

This one was off on an adventure. She was lovely and friendly£ allowed me to put a leash on her and try and find her home.

Turned out I knew her but she had grown since I last saw her.

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 10:02:49

the other day I pulled mine in when he started barking at something in the garden (christ knows what it was) as I was closing the door he ran past me and the only reason I caught him was that he caught it at the bottom of the gerden. he let it go when I shouted, but still....

<fond memories of obedient collie who I could let off lead quite happily and stupid docile lab>

chickchickchicken Thu 13-Oct-11 13:24:55

smile its the opposite for me - i have two jrts that are very obedient and have great recall, the collie x on the other hand .......

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 13:27:22

I am jealous. Benji is ace in every othe respect, but will not return when he has something in his sights. thank god for extendable leads.

DogsBeastFiend Thu 13-Oct-11 13:39:21

grin Could be you're right!

I've clearly missed out... I've found mutts, Labradors, Collies, a couple of Rotts but never a Jackie.

One of the Rotts was good fun. I called the Dog Warden out to scan her for a chip. He duly arrived and as I led him to the kitchen where she'd been eating biscuits from my hand he asked me "Is she friendly?"

"Yep... well, she is to me at least. I hope she likes men!"

Whoops. At that he opened the door and she flew at him, hackles raised, teeth bared! How was I to know my wisecrack might have more than a ring of truth to it? blush

The Dog Warden, a big, burly chap, slammed the door shut PDQ, handed me a slip lead and said, "Can you get her into the van then?".

She walked out by my side and hopped into the van with all the gentleness and manners of a PAT dog. The DW sat in the drivers seat, doors and windows firmly closed.

A few days later, chatting to my local greengrocer, I mentioned finding this Rott. "Oh, so it was YOU! She's my dog. Thank you!" she replied. A visitor had left the door open and Rott-Girl had escaped, leaving the owner frantic. Luckily the microchip had reunited them.

I smiled and told her owner of the difference between Rott-Girl's reaction to me and the dog warden. She snorted. "My dog hates men. I trained her to be like that in case my bastard ex husband comes back!".

shock

LissieLovettsDeliciousPies Thu 13-Oct-11 13:50:43

hahaha, the family I lived with when I was younger had a rottie, she was a big soft bear. but people were always terrified of her.

misdee Thu 13-Oct-11 13:53:16

actually, i told a lie. i have found some labradoodles as well (not mine). the dog warden is doing extra patrols which seems to have kicked the owners into getting their fences fixed pretty darned quick!

HauntForTheBeast Thu 13-Oct-11 20:48:04

I am a Beagle magnet.

HauntForTheBeast Thu 13-Oct-11 20:50:54

Ooops, posted too soon!

I keep finding Beagles, no doubt following a scent.

My parson russell terrier will happily stand next to me watching wild rabbits hopping around a field. They are never going to be as interesting as playing ball!

We had three deer run across our path this week, actually, and she glanced at them and then up at me with a "are you going to throw that ball or what?" look grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now