Talk

Advanced search

Can you work full time and have two dogs?

(14 Posts)
EttiKetti Thu 13-Oct-11 07:22:13

I've accepted a full time job today and Dn more concerned about my dogs than the children!

Since applying a month ago, Ive been trying to find a dog walker to no avail. Me and DH work just too far away to get home at lunch as we only get a 30 minute break, and there's no family to help.

Doggy daycare has huge, unmoving waiting list and tbh we can't afford that.

I'm dreading it and on the verge of rehoming rather than leaving them all day sad our younger dog still chews so is crated, which he loves, but not all day.

Any advice very very welcome.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 13-Oct-11 08:26:01

Friendly neighbour who would walk them? Leaving them crated that long is not really an option. Rehoming would also be terrible.

What are your working hours?

EttiKetti Thu 13-Oct-11 08:35:39

Neighbours all work and we're in the throes of moving too. Older dog not crated, she wld be fine wandering round the house, or most likely sleeping, all day!

I can't bear the thought of either rehoming or leaving them, but had no choice but to take the job and had only worked 3 hrs a day for years!

Will keep hunting. I'm going to try local college too today, now I know I've got the job, see if they have any ideas.

Thanks.

DooinMeCleanin Thu 13-Oct-11 09:08:17

No school mums who would help out? Or friendly local teenagers? Dog trainers often do walking as side line so it's worth trying all your local trainers too. If they don't do it they might have some clients who are looking for some extra cash.

Rhinestone Thu 13-Oct-11 13:15:35

OK, DON'T rehome - I think that would be worse.

Advertise in the local paper, the local vet, local college etc etc. Can you not Google dog walkers in your area? Or put a thread on MN asking for one? Roughly whereabouts are you?

Worst case scenario keep doing what you're doing and give the younger one esp a great walk in the morning. Rehoming could be much worse (IMO)- your situation is not ideal but not as bad as that.

But I'm interested in what the likes of DBF and Scuttle would think.....

EttiKetti Thu 13-Oct-11 15:51:49

Rehoming is absolutely NOT an option at the moment, everyone's hearts would break! Unless it is or seems V V cruel to leave them, then its not the avenue we are seriously considering. I feel like such an irresponsible dog owner, going to work all day and leaving them tho. Its worse than the mummy guilt.

Will try trainers and the like, have googled, its all dead links or people that no longer do it.

College havent returned my calls so far!

Thanks so much, feel a little reassured...

myermay Thu 13-Oct-11 16:15:49

I second putting a notice up in local shop. Do you have any people you regularly see whist walking that you can ask? I'm sure if people are walking their own and passing your house, it's no biggy for them to do it, and im sure there are plenty of people looking to earn some cash. Where do you live out of interest?

MadAboutHotChoc Thu 13-Oct-11 16:22:47

I help my neighbours with their dogs by letting them out at lunchtime. As they are teachers, they return the favour during weekends and holidays.

My teenage son also helps out with their dogs if a bit of pocket money is involved.

Rhinestone Thu 13-Oct-11 17:34:58

OP, have you tried Petpals UK?

http://www.petpals.com/

miacis Thu 13-Oct-11 20:18:59

Is there a local on line forum? I see loads of people advertising for dog walkers etc on ours and they always get sorted quickly. (sadly) lots of people need a bit of extra cash at the moment.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 14-Oct-11 10:30:53

Our next door neighbours leave their two labs alone all day and they are fine, I never hear a peep out of them.

EttiKetti Fri 14-Oct-11 22:10:39

Spookily there was an ad on Intranet at work for a new dog walker today!!!! Have left messages for her smilesmilesmilesmile

charlearose Thu 20-Oct-11 17:31:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EttiKetti Fri 21-Oct-11 01:12:56

When we move house, I was wondering how a run and kennel or even using a garage/kennel/dog door might work. Here, we can't really leave them outside as our older dog digs up the lawn within seconds of being on it angry and as out buyers just dropped out, we're back on the market hmm.

Dog walker still not been in touch sadly, will keep trying, at least a month til I'm full time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now