Talk

Advanced search

Greyhound disturbed several times in night

(10 Posts)
Greyhound42 Tue 11-Oct-11 22:18:02

Over the past week or two, one of my two greyhounds has been waking and barking during the night. At first we thought it could be she needed a toilet break, however, the barking got worse & more frequent, particularly on Friday & Saturday night. We go down and they both seem spooked by something, they are anxious, wide eyed and looking at the door. It is clear now it is not for a toilet break, both dogs are well & healthy.

Clearly we can't keep getting up to reassure them several times a night. We can't ignore it and rush down each time as we have a 7 month old who is getting us up 4/5 times a night too. The baby crying doesn't seem to be linked to dogs being disturbed.

At first I suspected it could be an animal in the garden but no evidence of this. Then I suspected fireworks as on one occasion prior to a barking episode we heard a bang. I can't generally hear any noises prior to the barking.

We have had the greyhounds for approx 3 years, they are 8 & 9 years old. They have always hated fireworks & thunder, but at the moment I can't hear any. It is so strange.

Sorry for long post. Just don't know what to do and am struggling with lack of sleep. We are currently trying a DAP diffuser and considering a crate.

Greyhound42 Tue 11-Oct-11 22:25:41

Realised I didn't actually ask a question on this post, meant to say "any thoughts?"

Scuttlebutter Tue 11-Oct-11 22:52:08

At this time of year, it could very well be fireworks. sad angry We are starting to have problems with them going off randomly all through the night, disturbing our dogs. It has also been extremely windy here for the past few nights - is there anything like a tree branch, washing line, fence etc that could be rattling in the garden? If there is a hedgehog in the garden they could well be barking at that (ours do).

The other annoying thing about fireworks earlier in the eveing is that they sensitise the dogs. Noises that they would normally take in their stride become triggers for anxiety and barking - again, we are already seeing this due to scrotes letting off random firework bangs. It would make sense if this is the explanation since the weekend is when the little dears seem to like to play with their rockets.

feesh Wed 12-Oct-11 11:07:35

Hi,
We've had a similar problem with our dog waking up and howly-barking at 4am when the call to prayer goes out (we live in the Middle East). I downloaded an album called 'Relax my Dog' from iTunes last week and we now leave it running on a loop in the kitchen while she sleeps - it's worked an absolute dream and she hasn't woken once in the night since!
Hope this helps - I was astounded when it worked for us and I registered specially to tell you as I can't believe how good it is (it was recommended by the Dogs Trust on their Facebook page).

DooinMeCleanin Wed 12-Oct-11 11:36:56

My terrier woke the whole house up with frightening loud and vicious growling a few nights ago. It turned out to be a carrier bag caught in a tree branch behind the house.

The other two ignored it, but generally if one barks, they all do.

I would guess at wind or fireworks, their hearing is a lot better than ours, particularly if you're sleeping. A tape like the one Feesh mentioned, might work to help drown out background noises.

LordOfTheFlies Wed 12-Oct-11 11:53:33

Could it be foxes? We get them in our street and they make a horrible noise like a child crying.

Dooin -dangerous things these carrier-bags-in-trees. They lie in wait and you never know when they'll strike grin

LordOfTheFlies Wed 12-Oct-11 11:55:18

Obviously foxes that your grey is barking at, I'm not suggesting you are mistaking foxes for her (if that makes sense) confused

DejaWho Wed 12-Oct-11 13:07:31

Could they be cold? Nights have suddenly got very nippy.

Hound pyjamas?!

Greyhound42 Wed 12-Oct-11 19:15:13

Thank you all for your replies. Last night wasn't as bad, a few wakings early on in the evening, then a couple more in the early hours. Perhaps the DAP is having an effect or the potential noise was less frequent.

Scuttlebutter - interesting thought about hedgehogs, I have seen hedgehogs in our garden before. And they are definitely more aware of these things than us, whether it be wind or distant fireworks.

Feesh - thanks so much, I will check out that album and report back, what a good idea!

Dooinmecleanin - how funny about the plastic bag!

Lordoftheflies - could be foxes but I would have thought we would hear them too. I have heard them in the past and yes, the sound is horrific!

Dejawho - we do keep an eye on their temp, but I think that is unlikely as they are really unsettled and "spooked" when it happens. We do have fleecy hound PJs for them for when it gets cold.

Thanks again for all your input. We'll persevere with the DAP & try the album. It might be that I end up spending a few nights sleeping downstairs on the sofa to keep them reassured. Husband won't allow them to sleep upstairs! It's funny as wind/animals have never bothered them before, but maybe the fireworks have meant they are "listening out" more. I wish they could talk sometimes!

Fingers crossed for the next few nights.

LauraShigihara Wed 12-Oct-11 19:26:10

My whippet-cross absolutely loves the hedgehogs (one rustles around out the front, one out the back). And this time of the year, they are quite active as they stock up for winter. She can hear them in the quiet of the night and runs about the house until she is allowed out to play.

She will wake us two or three times a night to be let out just to stalk watch the back garden hog - by five o'clock I have usually given up letting her back in again.

I feel your pain grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now