Talk

Advanced search

What does a home check involve?

(50 Posts)
KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 16:04:11

Just that really. I've looked through the last ten pages of this section and haven't seen a thread, but if I've missed it please point me at it.

Are they looking for a tidy house?

The dog I'm interested in is a 9 year old cross breed that has been in a rescue place for a while, and apparently gets on with everyone and everything and seems like the perfect dog for us smile

Ephiny Mon 10-Oct-11 16:28:45

I don't think they care much about a tidy house (we certainly don't have one)! In fact they might be more concerned if everything was very perfect and you seemed obsessively house-proud, in case you weren't prepared for dog hair, muddy paw prints etc! For us it was just checking that we had a secure garden at the back (this was very important), enough space indoors, somewhere suitable for dog to sleep, no obvious hazards etc. Sometimes they want to meet all household members, though that doesn't necessarily have to be at the homecheck.

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll be fine, and I hope you have your perfect dog with you very soon smile

DooinMeCleanin Mon 10-Oct-11 16:45:54

They're mainly interested in the security of your house. I'd be buggered if they wanted spotless grin.

When I had mine they checked where the dog would be sleeping and the outside area of the house to make sure it was secure enough. They mainly just wanted to chat.

KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 16:47:47

Phew! No chance of me every pretending to be house-proud. This rescue place says all household members have to meet the dog at the place before they will let it go, which is sensible I think.

KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 16:51:45

Btw, the dog is Amelia here http://manytearsrescue.webs.com/dogslookingforhomes.htm (you have to scroll down a bit before you can search for the name) She is just called a cross-breed, but I wonder of what? I'm not wanting a terrier of anysort as have sheep/cows/horses/cats all around.

KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 16:52:01

Doh!

manytearsrescue.webs.com/dogslookingforhomes.htm

DogsBeastFiend Mon 10-Oct-11 16:55:57

Oh don't stress about the piles of washing or the cluttered shelves and cat paw prints on the windowsill! No-one cares about that.

What rescue wants to see is whether all the family are up for dog owning and whether, as they chat, they are convinced that you know what the pros and cons are, whether you're committed enough not to give up at the first hurdle, whether they think that you'd allow PFB to pull Rover's tail or not and so on.

Practically it's about ironing out problems before pooch moves in... any holes in the fence, is the gate secure, the fence high enough? If not, that's not a fail as long as you're willing and able to resolve the problem.

They should ask where pooch wil sleep (it's okay, we don't go poking our noses in your bedrooms!), where will he chill out and where will he escape from the madness of family life.

All in all it should be a friendly and very informal experience. DOn't stress! smile

DogsBeastFiend Mon 10-Oct-11 16:56:36

Thought it might be MT that you were referring to. smile

KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 16:59:33

Thanks DBF. MT is a four hour drive away, but they said they can do home checks here so I'll wait and see.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 10-Oct-11 17:05:59

Yep. MT has fosterers and homecheckers all across England too. I was going to become one of their fosterers - and I live in East Anglia! (I had to turn their offer down not because of any fault with MT but because the rescue which I volunteer for hands on offered me the chance to long-term foster the dog of my dreams whom I'd spent months working with at their rescue.

(He's a long haired white GSD, btw. Did I mention that GSDs are the best dogs to own... grin grin )

<<whistles innocently>>

bumpybecky Mon 10-Oct-11 17:13:13

she looks lovely smilesmile but sad at how many dogs they've got needing homes sad

we had one home check and will be having another on wednesday this week, we're looking to foster a dog. Last time they wanted to check the garden was secure, asked where the dog would be sleeping, how we'd introduce the dog to the cats and kids, when and where we'd walk the dog etc etc.

good luck smile

chickchickchicken Mon 10-Oct-11 17:14:49

Amelia looks lovely. I am always amazed that more people dont adopt older dogs. I know people must worry about how long they will have with the dogs but you avoid so many problems, many of which we see on here, by adopting an older dog who will be happy just to spend their time quietly fitting in with the ebb and flow of family life

btw my 14yr old jrt has always been great with cats, sheep, horses, cows and chickens. I dont know what mix she has in her background but worth bearing in mind some terriers are ok with other animals

good luck. keep us updated. we love a rehoming happy ending story smile

KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 17:18:30

Ooh, just had a call from the rescue place and they asked loads of questions, and she is now reserved for us grin Apparently she needs a home where she can potter and sleep. She sounds just like me!

They're gonna test Amelia with horses and sort out a home check in the next couple of days.

I will try my best not to look at the 14 month old absolutely beautiful GSD they also have there!

Yes bumpybecky, so many dogs needing homes sad

DooinMeCleanin Mon 10-Oct-11 17:20:44

I have a terrier and a cat. It worked out in the end. I say in the end because he did need training, but he was from a pound not a rescue and was therefore not assessed. I also have a greyhound with a cat, which is fine. It would be better if she could work out that he will not come and play with her if she barks at him, but she's a bit dim grin. You should go on the individual dog not the breed. All my dogs are weird. I have whippet who will not chase and is scared of rabbits and my Greyhound who just wants to play with everything, no matter what species it is. There's only the terrier who is slightly normal.

My terrier is scared of horses and will bark at them through fear, but this is something I could train if I needed to, as it is we don't often see many horses so it's not really an issue.

Elibean Mon 10-Oct-11 17:46:04

Oooh, Amelia is gorgeous - good luck KC!

We just rehomed a MT pup, and he is a love. They were very good at communicating with us, and the homecheck was a breeze - lovely lady, didn't take long, as DBF says just practical questions and boxes to tick. She asked us about fencing, hours the dog would be left alone, etc - and as she was experienced with labs, gave me lots of good advice as well smile

Enjoy the process and the anticipation!

higgle Mon 10-Oct-11 18:36:24

Amelia looks lovely! Our Porridge was 9 when he came from many tears - he is a Staffie and desperate for a home. He is the sweetest best behaved dog we have ever had, and it makes me cry if I think about where he could have ended up. The MT homechecker was lovely, she brought her own dog with her and was mainly interested in where the dog would sleep and about the security of our garden. I do hoope the new Many Tears staffie, Pudding, gets ahome soon, and Delilah Stripes, and all the other grown up funny looking dogs and the poor little Rottie with no eyes........

KatharineClifton Mon 10-Oct-11 18:43:02

Thanks all!

I'm getting a bit ahead of myself and looking at pet insurance, well the ones who do dogs over 8 anyway! Does anyone know ProtectYourBubbledotcom. Hefty excess but policy is well priced.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 10-Oct-11 19:08:42

"There's only the terrier who is slightly normal."

You were doing okay, in fact you were totally believable until that sentence, Dooin! grin grin

coccyx Tue 11-Oct-11 07:02:48

When we were homechecked for our great dane the gentleman brought one of his 'big boys' with him so we could get an idea of how much room they take up!
Apart from things mentioned above he also asked how much we thought we should allow a month for food/insurance etc.

DejaWho Tue 11-Oct-11 07:50:12

Last one we had - secure garden, nothing obvious that's going to be a dog hazard, having a clue where the dog's going to sleep (I did reply to that did they want the "correct" answer or the honest answer that we'd probably use them as a foot warmer at the bottom of the bed like the other dog) and just having a clue what we're doing.

Then it just ended up being a fuss over the existing dog and cat session!

Old girlie is with Tesco insurance as we didn't want a policy with a brutal excess for an OAP to be honest (although I was being markedly swayed by the idea of a free meerkat toy...)

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Tue 11-Oct-11 08:02:15

oh OP you just posted that so that I would look at every single dog on MT and sigh and want another!

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Tue 11-Oct-11 08:04:46

and Amelia is lovely, well done for looking at an oldie - they often get passed by for a young whipper snapper.

KatharineClifton Tue 11-Oct-11 14:23:37

I kinda decided that I am too lazy for a young dog. Apparently Amelia likes to potter and sleep. Just like me.

Will have another look at insurance and take into account brutal excesses.

What would be an obvious dog hazard?

chickchickchicken Tue 11-Oct-11 18:43:19

re insurance. although it was time consuming and i have since had too many emails from them i went through martin's money supermarket and got competitive prices for insurance. for me sainsburys worked out the best option and i also get double nectar points for a year. i would recommend, even though its a pain, going through one of the compare sites and then choosing the best policy

KatharineClifton Tue 11-Oct-11 21:03:41

Thanks chick.

Still haven't had a phone call from the home checker. The rescue seemed to think it would all be done and dusted quickly and I would be picking up Amelia on Saturday. But thereagain it is only Tuesday <over eager emoticon>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now