Talk

Advanced search

Harley got tangled in a live electric fence yesterday.

(19 Posts)
Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 12:46:48

So angry!

THis was on a well-signposted footpath that i have used many many times.

Got half way along it - 3 miles away from home and on the way back - and some bastard landowner had strung an electric fence along the hedge where the path entered the field across a little bridge. There was a bit of a space between the hedge and the fence so I assumed we were supposed to walk along this - it got narrower and narrower and I pulled Harley right up to my legs on the lead. And then he started to yelp and yelp - the shock had thrown him back and he got tangled in the 2 strands. He just kept crying while I untangled him - I got shocked too. Poor bloody dog sad I was bawling my eyes out and gave him a hug while he recovered.

We were over the electric fence by then and as we walked we discovered that the fence actually went around the end of the hedge into the next field so we'd have been trapped by it anyway. And then to add insult to injury when we crossed 2 more fields, the electric fence was strung across a stile so we couldn't get out! I had to pick Harley up and chuck him over it and then jump myself.

Harley is fine now.

I don't know what I want from posting here but I was so angry and upset. I have reported it on the Local Authority rights of way map.

Grrrr!

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 13:01:52

BTW can I assume that he is OK. 24 hrs later and no ill-effects that I can see.

DogsBeastFiend Mon 10-Oct-11 13:12:30

Jesus! Poor mite and poor you. shock I'd have been bawling my eyes out too. sad

This is most certainly not legal - not the positioning, the lack of signs, the lack of insulation, the inadequate width of pathway alongside the electric fencing, that it cuts off use of a stile which gives access to public footpaths or the fact that it's more than one strand - and that's just off the top of my head. But, if the landowner wants to play illegal, I'm all for:

A. Cutting the fucking thing to shreds and leaving an AR card for the landowner with a warning of worse to come if he tries these tricks again.

and

B. Seeking the bugger out and seeing if he likes being electrocuted.

But, most folk are less arsey than me so instead you might like to call the LA and speak to the Rights of Way officer, to add urgency to your written complaint.

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 13:37:13

Beleive me if I had some wire cutters I'd have been tempted to some direct action!

I did try to ring but there is no-one available.

MrsZoidberg Mon 10-Oct-11 15:23:12

You poor things. I hope you and Harley are ok today. I don't know if there could be any residual affects 24 hours on, but a quick phone call to your vet should put your mind at rest.

Our local farmer strings an electric fence along the route he drives the cows when he moves them from one field to another - but he doesn't actually wire it up as the cows "know" not to touch it - or so he told me. If this is along a footpath it might be for the same reason, so get hold of the LA before the b*****d has time to take it down.

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 15:41:30

Thanks mrsz - I think he must be OK. He certainly is eating, drinking and generally being his normal self.

jade80 Mon 10-Oct-11 15:50:07

He should be fine if ok now. I've had lots of shocks off electric fences! It definitely sounds like the person hasn't put the fence up in line with guidelines. Def. follow it up with the rights of way people.

On the other side of the story, how fed up am I with bloody dog walkers damaging my hedge and repeatedly cutting down a wire fence so they can go through it, when there is a perfectly adequate (and signposted!) footpath just further down the track. But oh no, because they think they have the right to cut through my hedge, they do it anyway, damaging my stuff! (BTW this is definitely not a legal right of way, and I haven't taken to electrocuting people yet!)

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 15:51:40

jade - I sympathise. It must drive you crazy and I know walkers can be arseholes too! But this was so blatantly wrong.

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 15:52:51

Could you put up a sign on the bit they cut through pointing them to the right route? I can't understand anyone deliberately cutting a fence when there is a better route...mad!

mummynoseynora Mon 10-Oct-11 15:56:00

I don't know anything about the legalities, but if it IS illegal, and you both got electrocuted, why don't you get the police involved? could it count as assault ?

HappyFinnish Mon 10-Oct-11 15:57:04

This is awful. Glad you're both OK.

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 16:02:01

I think 'electrocuted' is a bit strong as we are both OK. But I did wonder what would have happened if Harley had been elderly or with a weak heart. Or, by the state I was in when it happened, if I had been ! grin

malinois Mon 10-Oct-11 16:08:27

Ormiran - poor you and poor dog. He will be fine though, electric fences are harmless.

And of course you're right that electrocuted is a bit strong - if you had been electrocuted you would both be dead!

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 16:10:22

I know they aren't harmful as such, just painful. But it was the fact that he got tangled up in it and it took me such a long time to get him out, him yelping and shaking the entire time.

jade80 Mon 10-Oct-11 16:48:30

Ormirian- I have tried signs elsewhere, but they have been torn up sad I haven't tried one in this particular spot. There is a sign just nearby that was put in by the council, showing where they should go, but nothing specifically saying 'don't go this way' (except the hedge and the wire!) I'm just waiting till I have the cash to put in a proper wooden high fence, then will hope that doesn't get damaged! Maybe I will try a few laminated signs- they won't last long before they get taken down, but are cheap at least! I think to them, the proper route isn't better, because it means going around, therefore is a minute or two longer- not sure I get why this is an issue as most are dog walkers, not in a hurry to get somewhere! I did consider camping out by it one day and saying politely to each and everyone 'excuse me, did you realise that's my hedge? The foothpath is that way!' With a smile!

Ouch, poor dog, I hate electric shocks myself, and I know what they are, must be scary for a dog! Lot of pats and maybe a treat or two should take his mind off it lol (sure he's forgotten it already but you know what I mean!)

Ormirian Mon 10-Oct-11 17:40:37

Barbed wire? Plant some nasty spiky plants? I don't understand people doing that.

musicposy Tue 11-Oct-11 00:40:24

They could be harmful if you had a heart condition - DD1 has and has been told to avoid electric shocks (not that you'd try to get one but you do get those games that shock you). The landowner doesn't know that the next person/ dog there won't have a weak heart or a pacemaker and be killed.

Keep complaining! Would the police do something? Poor, poor dog.

jade80 Tue 11-Oct-11 00:47:26

Tried barbed wire- that got cut! Several times. The hedge is hawthorn, so can't get much spikier- they just cut it back! I know, me neither! I wonder if the farmer has had similar issues with other people which have clouded his judgement leading to him putting the electric up. It's not really an excuse though- he just can't do what he has done across a footpath. Let us know what happens!

Ormirian Tue 11-Oct-11 12:12:10

Will do Jade. I am not holding my breath mind you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now