Talk

Advanced search

New Puppy Advice Needed

(4 Posts)
AllOverIt Mon 10-Oct-11 11:31:47

We have been looking for about 6 months for a show-type cocker puppy and we've finally found the right one. We went to see her on Saturday and we were thrilled with her and the breeder was so lovely. She gave us lots of advice.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any invaluable advice for new puppy owners? We are very familiar with older dogs as both DH and I had them growing up, and lots of our friends and family have dogs. I've read around the web and have read a brilliant book by Jane Simmonds about owning a cocker.

I suppose what I'm asking is the kind of advice I was after when pregnant with DS. What do we really need to know? What advice was invaluable to you when your dog was a pup?

A bit of background, my DC are almost 5 and 2 and a half. I run my own business from home, but this is only an hour or so in the day. DS is at school full-time and DD is due to start pre-school after October half term so I will have more free time in the day. We pick our pup up in 6 weeks.

Thanks, in advance.

ditavonteesed Mon 10-Oct-11 11:46:57

have a quick look down for the new puppy threa, there are 2 parts and it is very long, should find every bit of advice you could possibly ever need in there.
My personal advice, be patient, set boundaries straight away and ignore night time barking (14week old cocker spaniel here and was so very tired).

clam Mon 10-Oct-11 11:53:01

Ditto: the new puppy threads, part 1 and part 2. It started back in June and seems to have tailed off a bit recently, as those of us who were desperate in need of moral support have now all got perfect dogs! grin

Put the kettle on and sit down for a shock read!

AllOverIt Mon 10-Oct-11 12:07:03

That's great, I'll try and find them. Lots of friends have given me different advice and some of it's conflicting (as with advice about anything!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now