Talk

Advanced search

AIBU? Dogs on furniture in other people's homes.

(13 Posts)
mustdash Sun 09-Oct-11 10:59:27

Our very much beloved and lovely ILs live quite a bit away, and so when they visit, stay over. They have also a couple of times pet sat for us. We are really really grateful to them for this BUT. They have started allowing their cocker up on our furniture. This includes beds, sofas, velvet covered armchairs and they now expect her to sit with us at the dining table.

She has her own armchair in their house, but as far as I know, sleeps in her basket at home.

I could rant, and give you all the details, but it's probably not necessary. Would you expect to us to turn a blind eye to your dog being on the furniture, when we have expressly said, several times, that we think the dog should remain on the floor (as ours does, quite happily, apart from the odd lean against us).

Help, I just want to decide whether to be more firm with them, or just take a deep breath, and be grateful to have such generally fabulous ILs.

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 09-Oct-11 11:21:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DogsBeastFiend Sun 09-Oct-11 11:28:24

Agree with OBWNB. I'd have no problem with their dogs on my furniture - my own sleep on beds and sofas after all but I wouldn't allow them on anyone else's without express permission, it's rude, and I can undersstand you being cross.

However, if your ILs are pet sitting for you I think that you may be wise to accept that as they're doing you a favour it's probably in your interests to turn a blind eye. wink

mustdash Sun 09-Oct-11 12:19:07

You're right. I'll hold my tongue and continue to be very grateful. Thanks. grin

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 09-Oct-11 13:32:21

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 09-Oct-11 13:35:16

DogsBeastFiend Sun 09-Oct-11 13:35:55

Same here in East Anglia, OBWNB! smile

(I take it you have various other furries and that you're not a collector of Indian foodstuffs?) grin

OldBagWantsNewBag Sun 09-Oct-11 13:43:54

musicposy Sun 09-Oct-11 15:38:10

Could you put some throws on your furniture when they come over, then you can just wash them? I think I'd do this and go the "be grateful" route.

Having said that, I wouldn't let my dogs on other people's furniture even though they are allowed at home. So I do think they are not being very considerate.

My brother's girlfriend has a Cavalier who goes with her everywhere. He scuffs his bottom a lot along my parent's carpet hmm (they actually got up the courage to ask if he was wormed!) and they don't really like him on the furniture, even though they have their own dog. So Mum bought some throws and puts them all around when he comes round. She found that less stressful than risking falling out with the girlfriend. They haven't solved the bottom-carpet issue, though!

mustdash Sun 09-Oct-11 22:57:41

Yes, we casually draped throws around all sofas last time - but I was a bit hmm when I realised they'd also put one on the bed. To be honest it is her being encouraged up at the table that I really don't like. I think I just need to focus more on the wine and chocolates they bring too. I realise now just how ungrateful I sound. They are completely fabulous, honest!

We left them some curry in the fridge too, but they just ignored it!

Music posy - if it isn't worms, have they had her anal glands checked - seriously. A nice job for the vet, or pooch parlour. One of our old dogs had to have hers done regularly - it was horrible - but she was a very happy hound afterwards. smile

Thanks all.

FroOOOOOtshoOOOOOOts Sun 09-Oct-11 23:00:43

I'll come all the way to Surrey to pet sit your dogs, cats and curries. It sounds perfect. I like chicken curry best and not too hot thanks. wink

ChippingIn Sun 09-Oct-11 23:12:37

I draw the line, very firmly at the table. On it or at it - just 'no'.

musicposy Mon 10-Oct-11 09:48:19

I will build up the courage to ask bros girlfriend about anal glands blush. I think Mum has reached the end of mentioning stuff!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now