Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

My pup is having her first season, what do I need to do?

(4 Posts)
rogersmellyonthetelly Sat 08-Oct-11 20:16:47

she has started bleeding today, has very swollen vulva, and her nipples are much bigger than they were. She seems fine in herself, a little clingy but not too bad. She is eating fine and drinking normally.
Do I need to do anything other than keep her away from
Any entire dog, hold her hand and give her reassurance? Her bed is a little stained in one spot, but was going to wait until she has finished bleeding before I wash it or is that really horrible?
Also when will it all be over and things back to normal?

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Sat 08-Oct-11 22:12:36

You need to keep her in a well fenced garden away from any male dogs for about 3 weeks in total. My puppy just started her second season on Friday. The first one wasnt too bad as we were on holiday, she was in her crate in the evening or car during the day (tailgate open) and we had a secluded beach to run her on with my other dog so she was fine.

This time, she has had kennel cough for a week so not been walked and now she has come into season so wont be run properly for 3 weeks - unless I can get her out on a long line for a run in a friends field.

I wash the bedding every other day and have put towels in to mop up any blood, no bed in at the moment, just vet bed and towels which are v easy to wash and dry.

lots of cuddles, my dog is v loving when in season and I always feel a bit sorry for her.

Spamspamspam Sun 09-Oct-11 12:27:37

Mine is 2/3rds of the way through her first season. She has been very clingy and quite tired. A lot of people advised me not to walk her at all but she is a terrier with a lot of energy and I feel really guilty not walking her so I have taken her but kept her on a long line. Where I live we have miles and miles of different countryside to walk so I have made sure I take her to a place which not many people visit and at quiet times. It is also very open and flat so I can see other people in the distance and avoid walking past them and he have so far had no issues whatsover. My pup stopped bleeding after about 10 days but I regularly washed her bedding whilst she was. Good luck!

musicposy Sun 09-Oct-11 15:50:09

Mine has had 2 seasons, the first she dropped blood everywhere so I had a lot of cleaning up to do! I didn't let her out at all and she did go a bit stir crazy. The second we were on holiday in a tent so we were just stuck with being in public. Luckily we were in the highlands and islands of Scotland and it was pretty deserted, so we did walk her as normal, but always on a lead and away from popular dog walks. We only had one dog start whining when he saw her and we walked away pretty sharpish, or it's not fair on other dog owners.

I found putting some cheap fleece throws over where she slept in the day worked well because I could keep swapping and washing them. She sleeps on our bed at night confused, but I just put a fleece on the bed and changed the bedding more often.

It takes 3 weeks or so from start to finish. After a couple of weeks when the bleeding eases they stink to high heaven - we were very grateful for being in a tent this summer! This is mainly when you are at risk from male dogs. We noticed particularly the first season she was just desperate to get out and find a male dog - any male dog! So we were very vigilant the whole time. Second season she seemed much better and less hormonal generally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now