Talk

Advanced search

Renting with a dog - impossible?

(12 Posts)
Rhinestone Sat 08-Oct-11 09:17:59

A friend of mine is thinking of selling her house and renting (for various reasons) - the thing is she has a dog. Is it likely she'll be able to find anything? She seems to think so but I'm a bit worried about the dog for her. Thanks.

MrsJohnDeere Sat 08-Oct-11 09:19:34

Quite possible in rural areas. I know a few people who rent with dogs in my village.

Onlyaphase Sat 08-Oct-11 09:22:26

I rented a house in the commuter belt south east with 2 dogs and 2 cats for a year so it can be done. We did struggle to find a house though, as most landlords would rather take someone else than a family with lots of pets and a baby.

We offered 6 months rent up front, double deposit and to have the house and carpets professionally cleaned when we left.

As a landlord now, I allow pets, mainly because I know it can be a hassle to find somewhere.

dilbertina Sat 08-Oct-11 09:29:52

We rented our house out for a couple of years. The letting agent said we'll say no pets, but I told him we would consider them (we had a dog ourselves and there was a dog flap in back door!).

If they were good prospective tenants with well behaved dog I would have had no problem. In the event none of our tenants did have pets.

One lot asked about having chickens (again we'd had them ourselves), I said yes to that too, but did remind them they would have to leave garden in good state, and from experience that that might mean re-turfing after chicken devastation! They didn't get them in the end.

Rhinestone Sat 08-Oct-11 09:37:14

Thanks all.

Lizcat Sat 08-Oct-11 10:33:44

It is possible as a landlord with several properties it is partly about being sensible we had a potential tenant want to keep a Dalmation in a first floor flat where the only outside space is a car park - that was clearly never going to work. 2 boxers in a Rural property with half an acre of garden absolutely fine.

silentcatastrophe Sat 08-Oct-11 11:02:21

We started with 2 dogs when we started renting. Now we have more. People can be a bit funny about it, usually for irrational reasons. Lanlords who keep their own dogs will find their animals good, but may not like other people's. There is an idea that so many people are allergic to dogs. This is an excuse rather than a fact. For a lot of landlords, pets may be negotiable. We still rent and are home to a small zoo. It might help when you mention the dog/s, to offer a slightly higher deposit, or to steam the carpets etc on leaving.

CurlyCasper Sat 08-Oct-11 11:09:27

just because particulars say no dogs, doesn't always mean that is the case. If a property looks suitable for dogs, I would always ask if there's any chance. It has just worked for us for a second time, but then we are in a very rural area.

coccyx Sat 08-Oct-11 11:47:51

Interesting. We are just about to let out our place in south Lincs. I have said yes to dogs
1. I have dogs and love them to bits.
2. I know how difficult it can be to find somewhere that takes animals.
3. Property has a big garden and is a rural village so I know an animal will not be cooped up and annoying neighbours by barking all day.
I think I would ask as nothing to lose

Midori1999 Sat 08-Oct-11 16:27:53

We have rented with a dog and had a litter of puppies whilst renting too.

I just rang several letting agents and said we were looking for somewhere with x number of bedrooms that would accept a dog and we went to view a couple of properties. The one we chose had a dog with the current tennant (A beautiful Ridgeback) and some others had viewed prior to us, but the agent said she felt they were put off by the dog.

We just paid the normal deposit and rent monthly. However, when we had the litter we paid an extra £1000 on top of our initial deposit, the agent came top check things over when the puppies were 4 weeks old and again for any damage once they had all gone to their new homes. There was none and we got our deposit back.

When we moved out, we paid for the letting agent to arrange their own contract cleaner to come in and do the carpets and the agent said it was one of the cleanest properties she had ever moved anyone out of. We got our full deposit back, no quibbles.

zdcgbjm Sat 08-Oct-11 16:37:50

We have tenants with a dog. The letting agent had managed the house they were in before ours and told us it was immaculate. I'd be wary of letting to someone with a dog without that kind of reference though. Dogs can be very destructive. I've seen houses with skirting boards and doorframes chewed off not to mention urine and worse when they aren't looked after properly. Also it could put off future prospective tenants.

In general rural properties are more likely to permit pets than ones in town.

Scuttlebutter Sun 09-Oct-11 00:26:08

One thing your friend may find helpful is to place an advert themselves in the local press - we did this, in the Accommodation Wanted section of the newspaper. We were very explicit about the fact we had dogs, but also that we were a professional, non smoking middle aged couple who could supply excellent references. I was absolutely amazed by the quality of accommodation we were offered, much of it not available through letting agents. In the end we ended up in a delightful bungalow with an enormous garden and were incredibly happy there, landlord was lovely, and he and his wife were delighted with state of property after we left, so it can work out nicely for all concerned.

The key is to be honest and open upfront, accept that you may have to pay a higher deposit and probably expect to pay for professional cleaning at the end. Please, please don't encourage her to let and not tell the landlord - this can only end badly and is deeply unfair on any future tenant who may have allergies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now