Talk

Advanced search

Why do dog owners do this?

(24 Posts)
PoppadumPreach Sat 08-Oct-11 00:32:55

Just to clarify, I love dogs, they are amazing and I wish my lifestyle meant I could have one, and care for it properly.

OK, so you're clear. I love dogs.

I don't love dog poo, however, not at all. But I think we'd all agree it's part and parcel of having a dog.

So I'm having a lovely walk in a forest with my husband and kids. It's a forestry commission one, should that be important.

Anyway, not far from the car park, on one of the main tracks, there are 3 or 4 bags of dog poo. So the owners have put stuff into a bag, tied it up, and then just left it there.

I just want to rant as this is just soooo unacceptable. It's disgusting, and people who do this are irresponsible and should not be allowed to keep dogs, or vote for that matter.

So, tell me why??? Why do some dog owners think this is acceptable???

MollyintheMoon Sat 08-Oct-11 00:42:51

They were probably planning to pick it up on their way back from their walk, rather than having it swinging against their legs for a mile or so.

musicposy Sat 08-Oct-11 00:43:45

Maybe they were coming back for it?
If it's not picked up I agree, even worse in bags where it won't biodegrade than not. But maybe they left it to pick up en route back?

When we walk our dogs down the lane opposite our house we do sometimes do this blush because there is only one dog bin right at the start of the lane and if the dog poos on the way down it otherwise means carrying a bag of dog poo the whole walk. But we always do pick it up on our return and there is a general spirit of helpfulness where we often collect other people's and we've come back a few times to find ours gone. I'd be mortified if someone thought we were just leaving it there!

OhMyGolly Sat 08-Oct-11 00:51:46

I remember watching a random TV show about this, one area was littered with them, hanging from trees like decorations and all sorts. Afaicr they staked out the area and it was one lazy bloke. I don't understand it really, once you have done the picking up and bagging, surely that is the worst part, finding a bin is obviously beyond some peoples abilities.

Avantia Sat 08-Oct-11 07:35:08

If it is left there then YANBU - but as some have said they may be picking it up on wayback - hopefully they will . I walked yesterday for over a mile with a full poo bag before I came to a bin .

It is not acceptable to leave it there and just forget about it - the same with any litter .

Lizcat Sat 08-Oct-11 10:35:07

Where I walk the mobile mop this happens a lot it is horrible. I drive to my walk so the poo backs hang on the back wiper on the way home.

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Sat 08-Oct-11 10:39:39

most places we walk have poo bins dotted around, but there is one place that doesnt and it drives me crazy.
Not only do some people leave their poo bags around they also leave the dog shit (non bagged) on the path. This makes me more peed off than seeing bags of poo around.

Agree with others though OP, most people will be collecting the poo on the walk back.

rubyrubyruby Sat 08-Oct-11 10:42:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Saltire Sat 08-Oct-11 10:45:41

It really annoys me too. We buy the 300 nappy bags for a £1 in wilkinsons or pound shops, and always pick up, but likewise always put it in a bin! I think some people must think "right, I've picked the shit up, but I'm certainly not carrying it to the next bin so I'll leave it for someone else to pick up"

Crosshair Sat 08-Oct-11 11:43:21

Annoys me also. I see plenty of dog poo bags in trees and bushes, makes me wonder why people bother to bag it at all.

PoppadumPreach Sat 08-Oct-11 17:49:55

I guess I'll give them benefit of doubt though I still think it's selfish to litter the beautiful countryside with these offending little bags, even if it is only for an hour or two.

If you have a dog, you've got to be prepared to carry bags of poo in your pocket!!

Crosshair Sat 08-Oct-11 19:25:18

Mil has a poo handbag. grin

I keep trying to justify the purchase of a dicky bag, just wish it was a tad cheaper.

Op sometimes I leave it bagged in the summer, but always pick it up on the way back, in the winter it's a pocket warmergrin

NinkyNonker Sat 08-Oct-11 21:17:24

I saw this today when out walking the dogs...I almost took a picture just to demonstrate the poo bin in plain view about 50 yards to the side of it. Very odd.

I would never put poo in my pocket though, I'd rather carry it or give it to DH!

diggingintheribs Sat 08-Oct-11 21:24:58

This happens where I live - in a city centre. People pick up the poo, put it in a bag and then leave it at the base of a tree.

Do they think some poo fairy comes and takes it? No, because the poor sod from the council who is sweeping up the leaves has to do it.

Or my 14m old DD decides to make a grab for one on the way past.

Not nice.

Avantia Sun 09-Oct-11 08:38:14

Oh not sure about a dicky bag - my DS will end up putting his packed lunch in it. Only having one dog I think I can swing a poo bag or a mile or so grin although it will be double bagged.

lagrandissima Sun 09-Oct-11 08:41:09

Can I come on here just to rant about the turds left littering our park? And the dog locked in our neighbours' garage for half the day - barking and barking. Bloody selfish dog owners.

seeker Sun 09-Oct-11 08:46:28

Oh, and another rant- just because you're on a country walk that doesn't mean that it's ok to leave the poo lying about- if you can't, for some reason bag it, at least bury it!

WynkenBlynkenandNod Sun 09-Oct-11 08:53:58

Was walking with another dog owner when we met another guy with a dog who was doing the bag and leave it thing. The person I was with let rip about how vile it was leaving them there and how you should take the bags with you.

I am a wuss and was silently agreeing with every word he said and it was hugely cathartic to have all my pent up poo bag tree aggression released with out saying a word.

PoppadumPreach Sun 09-Oct-11 09:37:53

seeker yes, totally agree. We live in rural village and the number of poos left on the bridal paths is amazing. There seems to be a feeling of ownership of such paths by these dog owners. Grrrr

rubyrubyruby Sun 09-Oct-11 09:43:35

Suckstobeme Sun 09-Oct-11 10:03:11

At the woods near me, a lady had left a really long letter at the entrance complaining that she was fed up with the bags being left everywhere (and god bless her) she had picked up EVERY one she saw and came back with 31!!!

PoppadumPreach Sun 09-Oct-11 10:53:05

ruby blush

It's early and I was multi-tasking......!

rubyrubyruby Sun 09-Oct-11 11:33:58

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now