Talk

Advanced search

Could someone talk to me about my dogs prostrate ( ypozane)

(4 Posts)
pud1 Fri 07-Oct-11 16:31:15

I have a 7 year old boxer. Last night he was urinating constantly. We had to take him out every half hour for about 3 hours. He settled during the night but it started again this morning and he even urinated in the house which he has never done. I took him to the vet with a sample and she checked his prostrate and told me that bit was enlarged and he had protein and White blood cells in his sample, she has given me antibiotic and ypozane. She told me to go back after 2 weeks and if his prostrate has not gone down they will testbfor anything more serious. What does she mean by more serious. Are we talking about cancer? Also what are these ypozane? At £42 for 7 tablets what the hell are in them

pud1 Fri 07-Oct-11 19:17:23

Anyone

WitchesBrewIsMyFriend Fri 07-Oct-11 21:12:22

hi pud dont want to frighten you but I will be honest with you. Yes, the vet will mean cancer.

I lost my beautiful GSD to prostate cancer 2 years ago. sad It was sheer bad luck him getting it as he was castrated and the chance of a castrated dog getting prostate cancer isnt rare, but much less likely.

I hope your lovely boxer just has an infection and it settles down soon for you.

alice15 Fri 07-Oct-11 21:18:30

Problems of the sort you describe are quite common in uncastrated middle aged dogs, and are usually just caused by inflammation and perhaps infection of the prostate. Prostate cancer is quite rare, and does also affect neutered males as well as entire ones. The Ypozane is a drug which counteracts the effects of male hormones and so encourages an enlarged prostate to shrink down a bit. It's quite a new drug, hence not cheap. Usually, IME, problems like this clear up nicely within a few days - if he's not a lot more comfortable after the weekend, I'd be inclined to take him back to the vet early next week rather than wait 2 wks for the routine check. I hope he's feeling better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now