Talk

Advanced search

Do any of you feed you dog a home made diet?

(10 Posts)

When we had a dog when I was growing up, she often ate what we were eating (so some meat, potatoes, veg and gravy), and we only gave her dog food if we were eating something she couldn't. So, does anyone else give their dog human food? Or is it a terrible idea?

misdee Fri 07-Oct-11 11:55:10

mine has raw food. meat, veggies, bones etc

Just raw food misdee? Does he/she never have dog food?

IShallWearMidnight Fri 07-Oct-11 12:14:56

my DB and SIL feed their dogs pasta, broccolli and raw chicken wings on vets advice. One dog in particular was quite ill when they fed it dog food (tried different types).

Raw eh? Our dog always had the cooked scraps. Is raw better then? Do dogs not get food poisoning?

PeriPathetic Fri 07-Oct-11 12:28:35

Dogs rarely, if ever, get food poisoning from raw (better digestive systems by evolution). Google BARF (Bones & Raw Food) and RAW for details.

My mate feeds all her 8 (!) dogs scraps from the cafe she works in and, apart from the huge savings, her dogs are in fabulous condition.

Our dog has a mix of home-cooked & RAW. A mix because she's bloody fussy hmm and her breed is prone to allergies. She's been on this since we got her as a pup and have had no allergy problems, much to our vet's amazement.

When I cook for us humans, she may get a doggy version depending on what it is. Otherwise I make stuff for her.

wordfactory Fri 07-Oct-11 13:21:58

chicken my DH had a lab as a child who he says ate the leftovers...toast crusts and warm dregs of tea for breakfast, bits of meat and veg for tea etc. Apparently she was very foond of carrot peelings.

Lived to sixteen.

He can't believe I'm feeding our pup on expensive doggy bsicuit things.

misdee Fri 07-Oct-11 13:25:19

yup mainly raw food. he gets the kids leftovers at time, and he wont turn his nose up at a leftover roast once a week.

he hasnt had dog food since april. he is in the best condition he has been in since we got him and he is a lot calmer.

Hmmm. See, I'm considering this because I actually want to puke at the smell of dog food. I'm feeding our puppy dry feed with a bit of warm water added (he's teething) and it stinks to high heaven. And it makes him stink. Seriously, this pup could power a wind turbine. But as he's only 14 weeks old I'm not sure I should risk it. Would it be better to feed him the nutritionally balanced stink of Satan food until he's fully grown? I don't want to damage his development at all.

misdee Fri 07-Oct-11 13:49:37

better on a raw diet imo.

there are people on here who know aboutpuppies are raw/barf diet. ralph was put on a raw diet at a year old.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now