Talk

Advanced search

Should I start these training classes, or can you point me to another?

(9 Posts)
tooearlytobeup Mon 03-Oct-11 22:03:06

I have just finished puppy training classes, (4 week course) and need to find another. I cannot continue with the same trainer, as the day and time is impossible for me.
I was recommended classes, but have looked at the trainers website and found a lot of referring to 'alpha', 'pack leader' and a mention of Cesear Milan, thats bad isn't it?
The original trainer cannot recommend anyone else, and I cannot find anyone close on the APDT website
Is it worth attending the classes anyway, and ignoring the Cesar Milan type stuff? I mainly want to get pup used to behaving around other dogs anyway...

Crosshair Mon 03-Oct-11 22:44:07

Surely you would want someone who believed in and practiced positive training methods rather then the 'alpha', 'pack leader' school of thought?

oldandcrabby Mon 03-Oct-11 22:58:16

Try looking at the CAPBT site it gives local behaviourists. Many of them run training classes. I would recommend them very highly. Does your vet not have any suggestions?
Good luck

Crosshair Mon 03-Oct-11 22:58:56

I read this to help me decide on what I should be looking for:

www.petforums.co.uk/dog-training-behaviour/97249-what-look-trainer-behaviourist.html

Hope someone with more experience can help you out.

Crosshair Mon 03-Oct-11 22:59:19

oops x posted.

Scuttlebutter Tue 04-Oct-11 13:37:19

Are you able to say roughly where youare? Perhaps someone could then recommend? Have you asked at vets, breed assn, rescue, on dog grapevine?

tooearlytobeup Tue 04-Oct-11 20:20:16

Yes, I'm in South Wales, so if you can help that would be great grin

There is one APDT trainer nearby, we had puppy classes with her, but it is impossible for me to attend the next stage classes she runs (other commitments on same day) She will do one to one classes at another time, but to be honest, I can't afford to do that every week.

She said she cannot recommend anyone else, and as the vets recommend her, they wont point me elsewhere.

Rescue have suggested someone, and their course sounds fab, It is a bit further away though, so practically I don't know if I will be able to attend regularly. I will contact them anyway though to get more information.

The other trainer has been recommended by a couple of dog owners. Classes are a day and time that is easy for me to attend. Classes are very near. The location means I can easily take my children with me and they will be otherwise occupied. When I looked at the website ( google dog whisperer and a nationality which is not English, Scottish or Irish if you want to see it wink ) it mentions Cesar Milan as an inspiration hmm

I'm wondering if its worth going anyway, so that pup can continue to mix with other dogs, and just disregarding the methods I don't agree with, and using those I do.

Is this madness? If anyone has any other suggestions I would love to hear them smile I am happy to give exact location and names of the suggestions I have already had by pm, if they would help anyone with local knowledge, but don't really want to post them openly

Scuttlebutter Wed 05-Oct-11 13:23:36

Tooearly, I can recommend someone actually - try here. I cannot recommend her highly enough. She is highly qualified, a lovely person, a fantastic teacher. No nonsense about packs, dominance etc. We did our Bronze, Silver and Gold with one of our greys with her. She can advise on bringing child/ren to class with you - when I did my Silver one dog brought owner plus young teenager with him, and YT was brilliant.

tooearlytobeup Wed 05-Oct-11 15:18:20

Thank you for that Scuttlebutter, I will check out the link smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now