Talk

Advanced search

FFS! think both dogs have cough.

(5 Posts)
CoffeeIsMyFriend Sun 02-Oct-11 22:02:07

My dogs are fully vax and have been in 2 different kennels this year. One, a family run small kennels and 1 associated with a local vet. The family one is not as pleasing on the eye as the vet run one, but the dogs are well looked after and loved and spoiled! Vets is supposed to be the bees knees for dogs.

Got dogs back last Monday from vet associated kennels and now both my 2 have got kennel cough. I am a bit cross (probably unreasonably so) as this place was highly recommended and wasnt cheap, now both Loofa and Lolly are both poorly.

I am going to call them tomorrow to let them know and will call my own vets as lou is going for his follow up booster next week, obviously now he cant.

My point, not sure, I know KC is airborn and so many strains that it all cant be vaccinated against, but ffs. angry I am worried because Loofa has a dodgy immune system anyway and we are very careful with him and Lolly has only just turned 1. Keeping an eye on the snot colour and will see what my vet says tomorrow.

chickchickchicken Sun 02-Oct-11 22:49:06

no advice but hope they are better soon (apols sat outside trying yo type with a dog on mt lap)

notmeagain Mon 03-Oct-11 08:19:11

It is so easy to catch kennel cough so you cannot really blame the kennels. There is no 100% way to prevent kennel cough - there is up the nose prevention but even that does not cover all strains as you say.

Give them lots of tlc and lets hope they just have a mild case

Do keep them away from other dogs - even until 10 days or so after the last cough so you are doing your bit to prevent it spreading

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 03-Oct-11 10:12:17

I am not blaming the kennels, these things cant be helped, but in a dog that already has compromised immune system it is not a good thing. I called the kennels and have an appointment with one of their vets who will come out to the car to see them. I really just needed them to be aware.

Have also called my vets to speak to loofas vet as he has an appointment this week, doubt they will want him there either. dogs are staying in the garden at the moment. sad

CoffeeIsMyFriend Mon 03-Oct-11 14:27:04

re reading my op - it does look like I blame the kennels, definitely not, just wanted to point out that it doesnt matter where dogs go they can get cough.

Just back from the kennel vet and she gave me some antib's for both dogs. She came out to the car to examine them and told me that there had been a few other cases, but no link as the dogs hadnt been in adjacent kennels to each other. Anyway, antibs will sort out any remaining snot and my garden will be trashed again by the end of the week no doubt. [wry] smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now