Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have any experience of Patterdale Terriers?

(12 Posts)
Chocamochalatte Sat 01-Oct-11 21:25:41

Generally speaking, are they good with children? Ok with cats?? Do they like water??? (we're near the sea)

Chocamochalatte Sat 01-Oct-11 21:26:42

Oops, pressed send by accident!

Just looking for some advice really, tia smile

sununu Sun 02-Oct-11 12:09:46

my in-laws have one who is adorable, quite laid-back and very sweet with my kids. however I've been told that they are the most 'terrier-y' of terriers, often real working dogs and it's true that they absolutely do not trust her recall, she is mad for rabbits and they are terrified of losing her down a hole (but then they haven't bothered much with training). I would say probably not good with cats no!

notmeagain Sun 02-Oct-11 15:29:02

If you like and have owned terriers before go for it - lovely plucky dogs, clever,fast to learn if you use positive reward based training and know how terriers think.

However not really a dog for a first time owner or inexperienced owner - they can appear "difficult at times" by people that do not understand terriers and will have all the normal terrier traits if not keep busy and amused by their owner. digging,barking, off down rabbit holes and you will constantly have to work on recall.

Having said that I have two in the past and have loved them to bits!

Chocamochalatte Sun 02-Oct-11 18:20:41

Thank you, we're not totally inexperienced, we had a Collie a few years ago and my parents have a Scottie, and DS has Springers...
Can you recommend a site with some good information?

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Oct-11 18:29:31

The neighbours have one. Its definetly small animal friendly as I'm assuming that being a terrier gives it a high prey drive. It kills rabbits, chases cats, etc. It barks a lot as well.

ditavonteesed Sun 02-Oct-11 18:30:49

I hve BORDER terrier, they are very similar I believe, great dogs, great with kids, need a lot of walking and a lot of stimulation, training is pretty much an uphill struggle, but so much fun once you find what motivates them. Just dont go thinking that they cn do with a twenty min wwalk round the park because they are small, they are working dogs and nedd alot. cherry gets about 2 hours a day, training twice a week and we do agility when we can.
Great dogs and great fun.

LeBOF Sun 02-Oct-11 18:31:32

My Patterdale/Border type dog goes absolutely crazy for cats. Totally batshit.

ditavonteesed Sun 02-Oct-11 18:31:44

oh and I have cats and chickens which cherry is fine with, any other small prey is in trouble though.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 02-Oct-11 18:52:25

Sorry, I meant its definetly NOT small animal friendly.

notmeagain Sun 02-Oct-11 19:36:49

Great if you have had other dogs - go for it. The major difference I find between collies although very very high drive and intelligent is that they love human interaction and are extremely easy to entertain.

Terriers on the other hand are very intelligent but are more driven by their instinctive need to hunt and can at times seem to prefer that to human company so can at times seem to be harder to train and interact with.

But I do agility with my collies and in the past patterdales and it was my rescue patterdale that got me to grade 6 - not the collies. They are great fun loving dogs and a really handy pocket size so you can have more than one of themgrin

here

patterdaleclub here

notmeagain Sun 02-Oct-11 19:38:12

sorry missed off the most important link

rescue patterdales needing homes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now