Talk

Advanced search

My puppies microchip has moved! Help?

(8 Posts)
megapixie Sat 01-Oct-11 09:52:54

My JRT pup is now 5 months old. She is still very tiny and only seems to have grown in length, not much wider. (We got her a little vest when she was tiny to keep her warm, it used to cover her bum, it stills fits around her neck/arms/chest fine but now only goes halfway down her back.)

She has a lot of loose skin around her neck, and some on her back. You can pull around 2 inches of it on the back of her neck where chip should be.

We have recently felt what we assume is her microchip around her rib cage, just under one of her nipples. She doesn't appear in pain or even flinch when we touch it.

Is this normal? Can it hurt her or get into her organs or anything? I will probably be ringing the vets on Monday to be sure by any help is much appreciated!

DooinMeCleanin Sat 01-Oct-11 10:03:56

It's normal. When they scan dogs for chips they scan everywhere, starting with neck just incase the chip has moved.

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 01-Oct-11 14:16:02

My spaniels chip is down between his front legs. They usually scan all around the neck area so should still pick it up.

cedmonds Sat 01-Oct-11 21:53:47

Just be carefull , our Jack russel had he chip moved and it moved so it was pressing on her spinal cord she couldnt walk and was incontant untill she had an op to sort it out. I do not get any of my dogs micro chipped because of this and all the pups that are bred are tattoed instead.

SouthernandCross Sat 01-Oct-11 22:08:56

I know a few of the older chips used to migrate but it was my understanding that it was rare in the newer chips. I'll be interested to see if it is your puppy's chip that you can feel.

Scuttlebutter Sun 02-Oct-11 00:08:06

Are you absolutely sure it is the chip you can feel? Have her scanned next time she is at the vets to make sure. Chips do migrate from time to time, but the lump could be lots of things.

oldandcrabby Sun 02-Oct-11 16:01:42

My vet is unwilling to chip until about 9 months with a small dog. Nevertheless my girl's chip disintergrated at about 15 months. She is now 5. They operated to remove and replace it but at Bayer's expense.
I would see the vet and get her scanned and checked.

megapixie Mon 03-Oct-11 10:02:24

I have rung the vet to ask and they said it's fine. I described the feeling of it which they said most likely was, and as long as it isn't poking through her skin or causing her any pain when touching it it's okay. They just advised to check it every few days to see if it moves again.

I will be putting a note in her collar tag advising to check her thoroughly as her chip may have moved.

Thank you for all your help - I will definitely keep an eye on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now