Talk

Advanced search

19 month golden retriever bitch started peeing on floor at night

(6 Posts)
catwithflowers Sat 01-Oct-11 08:53:46

Any ideas why or how to stop it? We have recently moved house from the home where we brought her as a puppy so I am guessing that this is stress related but don't know how to fix it.

She was fine for the first month (been here about 7 weeks) we lived in new house although she did have very loose bowel movements for a week or so. This has now cleared up. Then in the last 3 days, she has peed on the kitchen floor (a lot!) twice through the night. Her diet is unchanged and she actually gets more walks now than she did before and a lot more exercise as we are by the beach so she swims twice a day. She looks the picture of health and is happy and her personality is the same as before we moved! We take her for a last walk around 9pm and she has access to back yard to pee if she needs to go until about 10pm. I get up around 6.30 am to let her out. She has been completely house trained since about 13 weeks.

Any suggestions as to what I can do? I think it may also be to do with our cats having a litter tray in the kitchen whereas they previously went out through a catflap (not possible in new rental house). Fortunately the kitchen floor is tiled but its still not good sad

Any advice please?

Dipsyistipsy Sat 01-Oct-11 08:55:33

Watching this carefully as same happening here with 12 month old dog.

MartyrStewart Sat 01-Oct-11 14:30:22

I'm far from an expert but one of our previous dogs used to be like this just before she came in season. Obviously if your bitch is spayed, feel free to ignore me.

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 01-Oct-11 14:34:45

she actually gets more walks now than she did before and a lot more exercise as we are by the beach so she swims twice a day.

Could this be a clue? Is she drinking more due to the saltiness of the sea? I know my dogs drink loads after they swim in the sea. Maybe she just can't hold on.
Try limiting her swimming for a few days and see if that helps.

notmeagain Sat 01-Oct-11 15:21:43

First thing must be a visit to the vets. If this is a new thing.

Then if she is given the all clear you can start to look at behavioural issues.

catwithflowers Sat 01-Oct-11 19:16:29

Thanks everyone for the advice. I considered the same re the swimming and salt so may well have to restrict the swimming and see what happens (sad as she adores it)

Martyr, she had her last (and first) season about 4 months ago and is due to be spayed soon. Will talk with vet and ask for a general check up. We had her checked out very thoroughly just before we moved 7 weeks ago as we moved her from abroad so she had to have all the Defra checks but it is certainly a good idea to check her again.

Thank you all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now