Talk

Advanced search

Dog eating nuts

(3 Posts)
ednurse Fri 30-Sep-11 18:16:54

My 5 year old Beagle (of course, who else is this greedy!) has taken to eating cobnuts from the garden.

She cracks the shell and eats the nut inside. It doesn't SEEM to be causing her any troubles....she's been eating them the past week or so. She eats maybe 10 a day (judging from the shells inside angry) but just wondering if it's bad for her and we should discourage it?

silentcatastrophe Fri 30-Sep-11 19:42:48

I don't imagine the shells do much for her teeth. I don't suppose the shells will help her an awful lot. Can you persuade her to chew on something else? We shove peanut butter into a kong (when we can find it), so I don't suppose the nuts are doing her any harm. When our dogs eat sharp things, I try to keep an eye on their tummies and look at their gums. When you press a pink gum it should go white then back to pink again. If you do it anyway to see what is normal for your dog, it can be a good indicator of an obstruction.

ednurse Fri 30-Sep-11 20:09:51

Thanks. I don't think it's the chewing thing she wants to do, it's just the eating the nuts grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now