Talk

Advanced search

Am taking dd2 to meet Risk this afternoon...

(18 Posts)
Elibean Wed 28-Sep-11 10:02:47

...she (dd) is nearly 5, and loves dogs but is nervous and tends to get more jumpy/jittery when scared (squeals, running away in circles, etc). Much like a pup hmm

Any tips for smoothing the meeting?

He (Risk) is nearly 5 months old, lab x, and apparently very polite - but I've not met him yet. The fosterer sounds lovely, and has her own dogs, cats and chickens, but no kids.

I'm thinking dd might be a bit overwhelmed after longish drive, as might I, and we only have half an hour there to get to know him, and oh rats I'm just panicking aren't I?! As in, what if dd is terrified and cries and doens't like him? What if I don't like him? what if he doesn't like us?!

blush

As you were....

DooinMeCleanin Wed 28-Sep-11 10:37:05

Tips for a smooth meeting?

Be yourself and try not to be nervous. Remember the fosterer does not want to judge you, only to make sure that Risk is right for you and you are right for him. Labs love everyone so he will like you and you will more than likely fall for him.

Why not bring some treats for dd2 to feed him?

Elibean Wed 28-Sep-11 10:48:00

Thanks for pawholding, Dooin....and (weirdly) hadn't thought of treats, excellent idea. Off to pet shop, and will report back!

Elibean Wed 28-Sep-11 19:12:51

You were right: he loved everyone, and everyone loved him smile

dd took cold chicken and got licked to death in thanks. She's still a bit nervous but totally in love grin

He's a very well behaved pup...makes me think he's just a bit underconfident, and will probably, once ensconced and safe, turn into a puppy-monster to make up for the non-mouthing, non-chewing, non-jumping up months hmm

The weird thing is, he is - honestly - like a puppy version of my old dog, that died 7 years ago. Its a very strange feeling, can't quite describe it - not sure if its good or bad.

CoffeeIsMyFriend Wed 28-Sep-11 20:51:58

sometimes it seems like a new pup is the spit of an old dog that you used to have. When we got Loofa - he was perfect, he was toilet trained, didnt chew, was very polite and he is still a young thing. He reminds me so much of our old boy.

Lolly on the other hand is the bloody dark destroyer and is so nosy she has to be crated for her own safety! Dont get me wrong, she is out and about, but bedtime comes and in the crate she goes. I would come down to a pile of rubble of a dining room in the morning. OK maybe that is a slight exageration, but she is so nosy that I cant have anything around, she once climbed onto the dining table, knocked over a posy of daffs, ate one and had me up all night and on the phone to the vet in the middle of the night! Minx is what she is.

I still love my puppy though. grin

tooearlytobeup Wed 28-Sep-11 20:55:47

I'm so glad it went well smile When are you taking him home?

chickchickchicken Wed 28-Sep-11 22:48:53

grin wow september came quickly! congratulations. what happens next?

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 08:31:58

Homevisit this afternoon <prays the dds don't decide to bicker and fight the whole time> and then, hopefully, we can pick him up next week.

They did want us to pick him up this weekend, but dh is on a course until tuesday night and they need him to be involved, so....probably the following Saturday. I need the time to borrow my brother's dog's old crate, buy treats and a million other things, and get my head around it all - builders have just finished, so its been full on!

I hope he turns out to be a Loofah and not a Lolly wink

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 29-Sep-11 13:14:50

elibean imho I would rather have dogs than bitches and now remember why I vowed not to get another femme fatale! grin That said, I know loads of people who will only have bitches so horses for coarses.

I hope so too, lolly is a clever girl and such a loving thing, I do tend to paint a horrid picture of her, but she is stunningly beautiful.

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 13:42:13

Ah, you are more experienced than me smile

I had a bitch in my teens, poor thing was totally neurotic (could well have been our family environment's doing!), and a neutered male as an adult - he was easy, and very funny.

I keep feeling confused as though we're getting him back but younger confused and we're NOT. (shouting at myself there).

tooearlytobeup Thu 29-Sep-11 15:05:16

Hoep the homechaeck goes well smile

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 17:10:38

It did! Very nice woman, helps several rescues with homechecks in the area...enjoyed meeting her.

Had text from foster carer, who says we can have him tomorrow - but as we're not ready (no crate, safe transport stuff, etc) and dh away all weekend which means I'm ferrying kids here there and everywhere, I've asked her to keep him a few extra days. She's agreed, reluctantly.

I need the time to prepare, tbh, and also want him arriving when I won't have to leave him alone at all for first few days - not possible over weekend with dh away, though would be if I"d had time to get help. I feel very guilty, fosterer really wants to make room for more dogs and for Risk to start his new life. sad

Vallhala Thu 29-Sep-11 19:09:01

grin grin grin

Brilliant news! smile

I hope that you'll all be very happy together and that Risk settles in without a hitch.

Dunno about you... I can't wait! grin

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 19:09:01

Had cheery text from her now, saying its fine and letting me know he has a fondness for marrow bones grin

Phew.

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 19:10:47

Thanks Val grin

Have to admit, now I've chucked the guilt out, and accepted we can't have him till next week, I can't wait either! But its going to be a lot of fun taking the dds to choose blankets, treats, toys....they're just beginning to believe that its really going to happen <and not just mum fantasizing again>

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 19:11:51

Also had nice chat with homecheck lady, who went to help at Many Tears over holidays - and said its run beautifully, three walks per day and spotless. Not surprised, but nice to hear - given that its such a big, busy rescue. Thought I'd pass that on smile

CoffeeIsMyFriend Thu 29-Sep-11 20:07:41

oh elibean I am so excited for you! And well done, it would have been easy to say "yes, I will have him tomorrow" but you have done the right thing by your family and Risk.
The only thing I would say is change his name, personally I dont like it. But that is just me. Something that rhymes... whisk? disk? fisk? jist?

hmm I will have a think, no doubt someone else will have a better suggestion.

Elibean Thu 29-Sep-11 22:58:33

All suggestions welcome! dds have final right of veto though hmm

So far they like Zero, Biscuit, and Risky hmm hmm

They tried for Beethoven, but I've nixed that on the grounds that he is nothing like a St Bernard (apart from appetite)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now