Talk

Advanced search

kennel/doghouse in back garden? - what sort do you have?

(10 Posts)
mrsbaldwin Tue 27-Sep-11 16:27:33

I have a wire haired fox terrier.

She spends some of each day outside in the back garden when I go out.

Winter is drawing in - want to get her a kennel/doghouse as a shelter and somewhere to stay warm or hide.

I've tried googling on the pet sites but there's quite a lot out there.

What sorts of kennels do other owners of small dogs have in their back gardens?

Suggestions gratefully received.

DooinMeCleanin Tue 27-Sep-11 16:32:12

I have a wire haired fox terrier x and he is not very hairy and shivers in the cold. Is this not the case with pedigrees? His belly is almost bald and his hair, while long is very fine.

Either way if your dog is not going to have access to the house during the times when you are out you'll be needing something like this with a door on to keep him fully sheltered. I'd stick a heat pad in there too, once it gets really cold.

toboldlygo Tue 27-Sep-11 18:00:43

I would never advocate leaving a dog unattended in a regular back garden, and I've no doubt others on here will tell you this in more vociferous terms.

Personally I have no problem in keeping suitable dogs outside but if this is going to be a long term situation then I'd strongly suggest investing in a proper kennel and run system - http://www.reeveskennels.co.uk or similar.

mrsbaldwin Tue 27-Sep-11 21:26:03

Thanks for these suggestions - v helpful.

The story with my dog is a bit complicated - I won't bore you here.

But she has to stay outside for some daytime periods. So I like the idea of the igloo and the heating pad and will have a look at some kennels and runs.

DooinMeCleanin Wed 28-Sep-11 07:47:36

You need to be aware that the risk of theft of a dog from a garden is very real and is becoming all too common.

Maybe if you bored us with why your dog cannot be left in the house we could help with some suggestions that keep your house and your dog safe?

mrsbaldwin Wed 28-Sep-11 21:45:20

OK ...

The backstory is quite long but the essential problem is that the dog is not one hundred percent reliably house trained. She is a former kennel dog, now getting a bit long in the tooth. We get an overnight accident about once a month and a 'why did you do that?'-type accident eg suddenly wees on the kitchen floor even though the back door is open about once a month also.

Some of the time both me and DH are out for a long day eg 0800-1800. On these days a dogwalker generally comes to take her out (but not always). 10 hours is too long to leave her in the house without expecting her not to go to the loo. Hence the desire to find a kennel so she can stay outside and go to the loo when she needs to.

If you can think of another solution, great!

DooinMeCleanin Wed 28-Sep-11 21:50:13

Dog flap?

3cutedarlings Wed 28-Sep-11 21:58:49

Could you not make sure that a dog walker deffo takes her out?

Also have you asked your vet to check her over to see if there is any reason why she might have bladder problems from time to time?

chickchickchicken Wed 28-Sep-11 22:57:02

personally i would never leave a dog in the garden while i was out. the top item on my local news (south west) tonight was a court case re dog fighting. dogs do get stolen.

could you arrange a dog walker every time? one of mine goes to doggy daycare. it costs £10 per day. this is cheaper where i live than paying a dog walker for an hour walk. he is with other dogs in a home environment. he loves it and comes home tired

mrsbaldwin Thu 29-Sep-11 12:00:12

Thanks for all these thoughts - don't think I haven't been there already.

Doggie daycare: we tried. The dog (who's very timid) was scared of the other dogs and hid in a gap under the shed all day. After several months of this the daycaregiver said she didn't want to take her any more as it was such a pain to get her out from under the shed all the time (fair enough).

Vets/bladder: I'm pretty certain it's an issue lying somewhere between being taken out enough and house-training although I will ask next time we go.

Dog flap - we looked at this, but unfortunately have a country cottage style thick solid wood back door (inherited from previous owner) that would be difficult to fit a dog flap too, plus my DH thinks it would compromise security of house. This may or may not be true - have others got similar doors? I'm also not sure my dog would be able to work out how to use it, or be able to repel any cats that decided to come in. She is not very good at being a dog!

Dog walker: our local dog walker is pretty good despite the fact my dog often poos in the back of his car on the way to the park (he has to pick up other dogs on the way too). But he isn't always available. A few months ago I approached a couple of teenagers who live locally to see if they were interested in helping. But they both said they didn't want a job looking after a dog.

So as you can see I've been working quite hard on this problem on and off which is why I was asking about the outdoor kennel scenario!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now