Talk

Advanced search

Puppy's first season - please advise

(10 Posts)
Spamspamspam Mon 26-Sep-11 15:03:39

I had read quite a few threads about whether to walk or not and am still unsure. There is one area around here that is usually very empty of other dogs and if I get the timing right I hopefully won't see anyone at all but she is a little dog (Parson Russell Terrier) and I suppose I am very nervous of another dog jumping on her and me not being able to get the dog off. Would putting a nappy on her stop the smell or not?

DooinMeCleanin Mon 26-Sep-11 15:44:45

I walked my Grey during her season, but on-leash, quiet walking times only. No other dogs jumped on us. I doubt a nappy wouls stop the smell.

You need to be aware the are most fertile for the few weeks after the bleeding has stopped and this is when the smell gets worse. My nuetered dog didn't bother with her at all when she was bleeding, but since she has stopped it's driving him crackers, poor sod.

Spamspamspam Mon 26-Sep-11 18:06:23

Thanks Dooin smile I didn't know that about being more fertile after the bleeding has stopped so thanks for that.

She also seems to have kennel cough sad. Am taking her to the vets tomorrow but with both of these things I think I am going to have to be very careful indeed!

alice15 Mon 26-Sep-11 19:46:21

Well, if the first day of bleeding is day 1, they are generally most fertile around days 11-14; but this can vary from day 8 to day 21, so no guarantees! And the bleeding usually changes to a clear discharge when they become fertile, but not always - some bitches bleed all the way through. So the safest thing is to keep her away from other dogs until about day 22 or her vulva has returned to normal size, whichever is later. Good luck!

Spamspamspam Wed 28-Sep-11 08:39:47

Thanks Alice15. I walked her yesterday, couldn't not as I feel so guilty not walking her but I went to the place where not many people are about and if you get the right paths you can see for miles and make sure you get out of others' way. I saw two people in the distance but didn't meet anyone else so one walk down (phew). Also I have to drive to this walk which should break the scent somewhat.

The cough seems to have cleared up which is good smile

alice15 Wed 28-Sep-11 11:11:08

With most bitches, you will find dogs are not that interested until about day 4-5, but then their attractiveness increases dramatically. TBH, I think it's a bit unfair to walk them in public much after the first few days, because it's a real pain for the owner of a male to have them run off after the scent and refuse to come back/get lost altogether - you can always find interesting and amusing games to play at home instead; but with luck you'll be away before the worst anyway.

Spamspamspam Wed 28-Sep-11 12:18:02

Alice, I wont be away I think you have got me confused with the other lady who was asking about seasons.

I totally understand what you are saying and I will take note and TRY and not walk her after today but I feel so sad not seeing her frolicking about in the countryside sad. The place I do take her has a carpark whereby I can see if there is anyone about, obviously I can't see who turns up after I have got there but it is a pretty good indication on who you are going to meet. Some days I don't see a soul up there and I have never met more than one or two people at a time up there but I still see it's not just me/her I have to consider!

alice15 Wed 28-Sep-11 15:54:40

sorry, very rude threadskimming by me!

Idasonions Wed 28-Sep-11 15:59:53

yes I would do lead only walks at quiet times or just keep her in.

My bitch was right at the end of her season and she was pinned down by a very excited chocolate lab who had been castrated - his owner did pull him off straight away but goes to show even castrated dogs can show interest and it is hard to escape from an excited boy !

Have her spayed if you are not planning pups.

Spamspamspam Wed 28-Sep-11 20:56:21

I am definately having her spayed but was recommended by so many people to let her have her first season so that's what I did.

I did walk her again today, although I had played with her in the garden I did feel sorry for her so took her out. When I got to the place I go when I don't particularly want to come across anyone there was no other cars in the car park and we didn't meet a soul. I did see someone bike riding towards us and thought he may have a dog with him so we legged it off in the other direction - he must have thought I was mad grin as he didn't have a dog with him blush

Will just take each day as it comes, however because I am driving to the walk area it would be a bit mean if we got there, I saw lots of cars and then drove home - although I have thought of a counter plan for that, I could just circle the car park and then take her up to a Rec I know that no one ever uses and dogs are allowed but you just never see anyone on there so that could be an option for a quick leg stretch. I am thinking 8.00 in the morning would be a good time, all the mums that walk dogs are doing school runs and people going to work will have done their walks, another time is 3.00pm for same reason. Will just have to wait and see I suppose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now