Talk

Advanced search

another incident and I am at my wits end.

(6 Posts)
ditavonteesed Sat 24-Sep-11 19:13:48

so took the dogs out for a quick trip earlier and cherry went for another dog, she had the muzzle on so couldnt do any harm but it is really upsetting, the level of these attcacks seems to be getting worse and I just dont know what to do.
We got the muzzle so she could be off lead but she still tried to attack another dog, when there arent other dogs around she just lays down and goes on strike. She is a lively fun dog and this behaviour is just not her.
I think I will take her to the vets next week to check there is nothing physical causing the problems.
any advice in the meantime would be very welcome.

chickchickchicken Sat 24-Sep-11 20:33:12

i think taking her to vet next week is a good idea

does she still behave like this if you take her for a walk without your other dog?

ditavonteesed Sat 24-Sep-11 20:40:45

she is, I am trying to alternate taking them out together and seperately, obviously I take her out on her own a lot more as she needs much longer walks. I was worried that she would be really protective of him. I am just going to take her for a walk round the block on our own so she can go out without the mizzle and we can have a nice walk.
Tommorow I will take her up f=riund the resovoiur where we never see anyone else so she can have a decent run.
she has always had a tendeqncy to snap but never anything like this.

3cutedarlings Sat 24-Sep-11 20:57:31

sad is it possibly because your not being as on guard as you normally are? because you have both dogs to watch and you know that cherry cant actually hurt another dog?..............long shot, i know smile

The going on strike does not surprise me at all! she's a clever girl Dita and she knows just how to pull at your heart strings smile.

ditavonteesed Sat 24-Sep-11 21:23:43

well that walk went really well, we actually bumped into the dog that she attacked in the park earlier and while i obviously didnt let her anywhere near it she wasnt trying to get to it and we stopped and had a chat with the dogs at a safe distance and I fussed the otehr dog.
I know what you mean 3cute but tbh I dont really watch eric he just follows us everywhere, we had just got into the park and barney was there so I let her off the lead, she ran straight up to the other dog, ignoring barney which is unheard off and just went.

fruitshootsandheaves Sat 24-Sep-11 23:41:38

I have a collie who is very unpredictable around other dogs. I have had so many incidents now with other dogs that I just don't let her off around other dogs. Ever.
Now I'm sure this is probably the wrong way to go about it, but it means I am more relaxed and therefore she is more relaxed. Luckily she has a very good recall and will come back or lie down when she sees another dog. I also use a halti as she does tend to lean out to get in a quick sneaky snap as another dog goes past!
I sometimes feel a bit sad for her when I see other dogs meeting and playing together but she has let me down so many times now I will not take the chance. She has never done any real harm to another dog, (just a few nicked ears) in fact she has come off much worse a few times, it's just the noise, stress and guilt it all creates.
I hope you get some answers soon. your dog sounds very similar to mine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now