Talk

Advanced search

Dog trainer?

(10 Posts)
Crosshair Wed 21-Sep-11 23:13:17

My dog(miniature daschund, 1.6 years old) is in need of some training, we started off with the best intentions and got the basics pretty much sorted. As time has gone on training has taken a back seat to the point where its now going backwards and I'm not sure how to tackle the situation. I feel rather out of my depth as he has started showing ''fear/aggression/play'' towards dogs he doesnt know when walking and the same sort of behaviour(fear/barking) to strangers who visit the house.

Should we start at the basics again or get someone who knows what they're doing in?

Crosshair Thu 22-Sep-11 12:18:45

Perhaps someone could recommend some techniques or reading material?

mymumdom Thu 22-Sep-11 12:25:07

As you are feeling out of your depth, get someone in. It sounds like his issues are now behavioural, rather than training.
Do your dog a favour and get someone from here rather than a card stuck on the vet's noticeboard.
You will need a vet referral, just to say your dog is healthy and not suffering from any condition that might cause his behaviour.

Tchootnika Thu 22-Sep-11 12:55:32

It sounds as if you're a bit unsure about reading your dog's signals, so whilst a behaviourist would be useful (never any harm in seeing a good behaviourist, always something to learn), you could also read around.

There's a really good book called 'In Defence of Dogs' by John Bradshaw.
It's still in hardback only so not cheap, but it gives a lot of insight into understanding dog behaviour, so really helps in understanding, choosing and applying training techniques.

If what you describe has been going on for a few months, it could be just that your dog is going through adolescence, so trying to find his place amongst other dogs - that might explain what looks to us humans like quite ambivalent playing/bothering/'shouty' behaviour. This would then be part of his natural development, rather than nay mistake you've made in training him, though obviously you'd need to keep an eye on it and keep training ongoing.

Crosshair Thu 22-Sep-11 13:27:37

Thanks for your replies, only a cat person in my area from the apbc.

I think you've pretty much hit the nail on the head Tchootnika, it started a few months ago and I find it hard to understand why or whats changed. To me it feels like he possibly lacks confidence and its a mixture of fear and not knowing how to handle certain situations anymore.

glasscompletelybroken Thu 22-Sep-11 18:47:25

There's a programme on Pick TV (hopefully you can get that) at 8am every week day called "It's me or the dog". The lady on there has some really good strategies for this kind of thing. Well most kinds of things actually! We have used a lot of her techniques with our puppy to good effect. You don't have to watch it every day for ever - if you watch half a dozen you'll get the idea!

Crosshair Thu 22-Sep-11 19:13:10

I watched that religiously before getting the dog. smile I'll definitely revist it as I think Im doing abit of everything from what I roughly remember and lacking consistency. Feeling alot more confident today, thank you for your posts.

Crosshair Mon 03-Oct-11 14:53:00

Just an update to say we're off to a behaviour/training person for some 1to1. smile

RedwingWinter Mon 03-Oct-11 18:37:14

Tchootnika, my mum bought me In Defence of Dogs, and I think it's a wonderful book!

(sorry for the thread hijack, Crosshair, I hope the training goes well)

Crosshair Mon 03-Oct-11 19:16:30

No worries and thanks. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now