Talk

Advanced search

Urgent Help! Injured puppy.

(11 Posts)
Pacific Tue 20-Sep-11 21:02:24

Ds tripped over my 7 month old puppy. The puppy is a small cross breed. He is hardly weight bearing on the back leg. It is moving OK otherwise, is not assymetrical. I can't feel any brake and I can manipulate the leg without causing any pain. Puppy is eating and drinking happily and running about the house on three legs.

I am off tommorrow morning and if puppy is still on three legs will take him to the vet.

Anyone have any further advice?

Pacific Tue 20-Sep-11 21:03:13

break

SwearyMary Tue 20-Sep-11 21:06:16

He needs to see a vet asap. If there is a fracture then it will be bleeding...

ThePieSmuggler Tue 20-Sep-11 21:11:26

Try to keep him rested (a lot easier said than done I know) if he's bright and eating drinking ok and not crying in pain when the leg is touched/ manipulated then it is highly unlikely to be a fracture (although the vet may want to x-ray him just in case as chip fractures and hairline fractures can easily be missed). IMO it's fine to wait until tomorrow to see your vet

He may well be weightbearing fine on it by your appointment but it's still worth going!

Pacific Tue 20-Sep-11 21:17:24

Thank you. I don't see any bruising and there certainly is no pain. I have already put him in his crate to stop him following me and to make him rest.

I don't think it is an emergency but I had more or less decided to take him for a check tomorrow anyway. He is so small....he is a papillon cross so really small and potentially easily hurt.

ThePieSmuggler Tue 20-Sep-11 21:22:58

I'm sure he'll be bouncing around again in time!

Pacific Tue 20-Sep-11 21:31:11

Thanks Pie. I hope so. I am an inexperienced dog owner, but I really love this wee doggy and would be devastated if anything happened to him.

alice15 Tue 20-Sep-11 21:34:17

IMO (as a vet) it's fine to wait until tomorrow to see the vet, if he's not in apparent pain - small breeds limp at the drop of a hat, because they are so light they hardly need 4 legs, and they are usually not slow to let you know if they are in pain, so hopefully it's not too serious. If he is still lame in the morning then he should indeed see the vet to get it checked. If he is unlucky enough to have broken something after all, the outlook will be no worse for waiting till the morning, because nobody would do much at this time of night other than supportive treatment anyway. I hope he feels better soon!

Pacific Tue 20-Sep-11 21:41:45

Thank you Alice. I am in healthcare myself although I look after humans, not animals so I figured that even if there is a tiny break that a few hours delay would make no difference. I am almost certain that there is no break.

He is a bit of a drama queen and cried piteously when he got his jabs! So I reckoned that he would let me know if he was in pain.

Pacific Wed 21-Sep-11 10:02:51

Hi all. Went to vet this morning. The leg is not broken just bruised so I have a NSAID which I gave him 30mins ago. Already he is starting to use the leg.

Ds is recovering too (I think he was more traumatised than the dog!)

Thanks all

alice15 Wed 21-Sep-11 21:58:31

Good, I'd have put money on it ; )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now