Talk

Advanced search

Why does my cockerpoo shake?

(8 Posts)
BurningBridges Sat 17-Sep-11 22:06:15

18 month old male cockerpoo is a nervous dog, but this isn't nerves - he just sort of looks very scared and starts shaking - sometimes he'll get up in the night 2am or something like that, we'll get up to see if he's ok and he's out of his bed sitting somewhere shaking. There is no obvious reason, its like he's having some sort of attack. He calms down after about 5 minutes and then is back to normal. He's very thin but always has been so we assume its natural, never been a good eater, otherwise he is friendly and full of beans. Any ideas welcome.

Kormachameleon Sat 17-Sep-11 22:10:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hellymelly Sat 17-Sep-11 22:15:36

Yes I would get the vet involved,could be siezures or a thyroid problem possibly,but it is definitely something to tell the vet about .

GeeinItLaldy Sat 17-Sep-11 22:16:48

Agree with Korma...he needs to be checked by a vet. Could be seizures of some sort. If would be useful to the vet to video one of these episodes if you can.

GeeinItLaldy Sat 17-Sep-11 22:18:12

oops...missing words '...useful to the vet if you could video...'

BurningBridges Sat 17-Sep-11 22:31:03

I can just imagine our vet saying oh yes that's because he's nervous. Or prescribing anti-biotics. Hence my reluctance and asking on here first. Its not as though dog is foaming at the mouth, he's not spaced out, so am not sure it gives any vet much to go on?

If you google it comes up with things like low blood sugar - DH says give him a biscuit! Also possible thyroid.

Lizcat Mon 19-Sep-11 10:46:39

As a vet I would back up the video as being the most useful thing. It is helpful during the video if you are able to lift the lip so the vet can see the colour of the gums and to try and call your dog's name to see if they respond. I find videos of this kind of situation hugely helpful and in two cases can say that they have massively helped with the diagnosis.

BurningBridges Wed 21-Sep-11 10:51:48

Thanks everyone. Now where's the camera ...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now