Talk

Advanced search

help with shih tzu pup

(8 Posts)
teddyduncan Fri 16-Sep-11 21:40:12

I brought home my 9 week old shih tzu today and she hasn't eaten anything and is sleeping lots. is this normal?

Midori1999 Fri 16-Sep-11 22:03:04

Ys, it's normal. Young puppies sleep lots, but she'll be especially tired after going to her new home.

Have you got some of the food she was on from the breeder? If so, she'll probably eat tomorrow, just keep offering meals and taking them up, don't leave the food down. Quite common for them to go off food at this time. Having the runs is quite common too, so if that happens, don't be too alarmed.

Hope she settles in soon. smile

teddyduncan Fri 16-Sep-11 22:19:20

hi,midori1999 thanks for your advice, I have bought the same food the breeder was giving her. Do you mean offer her food and if she does'nt eat it take back off the floor. Do you have a shih tzu yourself?

sb6699 Fri 16-Sep-11 22:55:48

Awww, bless. My lab puppy was like this and I remember being so worried I asked the vet for advice (and paid accordingly).

Same as Midori, he said its perfectly normal. Just like a baby, they sleep lots and will eat when they're hungry.

sb6699 Fri 16-Sep-11 22:57:26

Oh, and yes take it back off the floor so your pup will learn to eat at a certain time rather than just pick through the day.

Midori is very knowledgeable. She is a breeder of golden retrievers as far as I remember and has given me loads of advice in the past.

teddyduncan Sat 17-Sep-11 08:57:52

Thank you I feel a lot better now. She got up this morning and ate a little. Just wondered if anyone had any advice on the best flea treatment.

PiggyMad Sat 17-Sep-11 16:21:04

I've got a shih tzu - he's a year now and still likes to snooze! I hope she settles in well - sounds like she is feeling more at home if she is eating now.

teddyduncan Sat 17-Sep-11 20:37:16

Thanks piggymad she has really liven'd up today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now