Talk

Advanced search

Not dementia- most likely kidney failure!

(4 Posts)
horsemadmom Thu 15-Sep-11 01:00:45

Please advise!
I posted about my 12 year old Goldie's odd behaviour, Today it all got rather serious. He was rather lethargic this morning and then wet himself right in front of me. Went to the vet who said he had a very high temp. Ruled out diabetes but sent off bloodwork and now I have to figure out how to get a urine sample shock! She gave him anti-inflamitories and a course of antibiotics in case it is an infection. He rallied enough to get up when we had visitors that he loves.
I'm in bits. Kids in bits.

So symptoms-
Drinking A LOT
Not much appetite
Can't last the night without being let out
Bad breath
Weight gain
Deep sleeping-needs to be shaken

Most likely kidney failure? Has anyone's dog survived this?

silentcatastrophe Thu 15-Sep-11 08:50:09

Is this what the vet has diagnosed? V sorry to hear that your dog is so ill.

canistartagainplease Thu 15-Sep-11 08:55:32

kidney failure in humans can lead to dementia like confusion ,and in humans you can have kidnet failure ,in stages ,for years (experience with father).
I guess its not unreasonable to look to medicating for this or bladder infection and try and prolong life.

horsemadmom Thu 15-Sep-11 09:19:44

Thanks for this! He's on the antibiotics on the presumption that it may be an infection. I googled- never good- and learned that if it is kidney failure, noticeable symptoms don't appear until there is 75% damage minimum. Scary thought. Keeping our fingers crossed. I just hate seeing him so listless and miserable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now