Talk

Advanced search

JRT'S and cats, can they live together?!

(8 Posts)
2T2T Mon 12-Sep-11 18:28:01

Can a JRT puppy (over 4 mths e.g.) live with a cat/cats? If you got an 8 week old JRT could that live with cats? I know they are historically 'ratters' but has anyone got any experience of them living in harmony?

DooinMeCleanin Tue 13-Sep-11 08:10:27

I have had a JRT who was scared of cats. I fostered one for a few days who would have eaten my cat in one mouthfull given half the chance.

Both were over 6 months old when they came to me.

It depends on the individual dog/cat.

Is this dog a rescue? They should be able to answer your questions. Bringing a dog up from a puppy does not guarentee harmonious dog/cat relations. My sister's Lurcher, who she has had since 10 weeks old, keeps trying to eat my mum's cats. My Dad's stray he brought home from the beach, who is thought to be around 11 months old, adores the cats.

Snusmumriken Tue 13-Sep-11 08:24:00

Hello,

This will have to be very short as I am running late!

We have a rescue JRT mix and a cat and they 'love' each other. Both of them sleep with us in bed every night.

The cat is very dominant and we had her first. Our dog was about 4 months old when we re homed her.

It took several months before we could leave them in a room alone together. The cat would attack the dog.

good luck!

faverolles Tue 13-Sep-11 08:28:16

Yes. We have a jrt and she loves our cats. They play fight sometimes, but generally they love each other.

isw Tue 13-Sep-11 08:52:32

Another JRT here is who is good with family cats. But will chase cats when out and about, more in a playful way.

Good luck!

soymama Tue 13-Sep-11 08:57:08

My brothers JRT has actuelly killed a cat before. I have a beautiful kitten and the family are having huge arguments because I refuse to have the dog in our house,plus the JRT has snapped at my son :-(

2T2T Tue 13-Sep-11 17:43:34

soymama - I have a friend whose JRT killed a litter of kittens her cat had given birth to when they were about 4 weeks old sad. I am kind of nervous about the breed as they do have a reputation for not being particularly cat friendly. It is a shame as I love their temperament . I'll rethink this I think! Thans for your imput everyone smile

soymama Tue 13-Sep-11 21:48:23

Good luck with your decision. I don't think all JR are bad though. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now