Talk

Advanced search

Ok I know I said never again........

(28 Posts)
thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 15:46:52

We lost our darling girl in July and said thats it, no more, cant take the heartbreak. Since then we have lived in a very clean and very boring house! but why would I put myself through that again, so um why do I have a four year old rescue at my feet.? grin he is sitting in his frankly minging well loved bed which hopefully he will let me replace shortly. Seems he was the victim of a marriage break up though he appears to have a bit of scarring to his face so not sure if he was savaged by another dog sometime. Any ideas about making him feel secure please, never had a rescue dog. TIA

Lizcat Mon 12-Sep-11 16:03:11

I have to admit that most rescue dogs I meet who have been through a similar kind of life are desparately grateful for just having someone who loves, walks and wants them. He is a very lucky boy.

thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 16:08:07

Thanks Lizcat, he seems a bit sleepy now mind you he barked for over an hour on the way home in the car before deciding this didnt seem to produce any good thing, or anything at all and went to sleep. The rescuer said he pulled but have to say he was a gentlemen when we took him out earlier, he hasn t been neutered but will be grin he sniffed a few dogs, only barked at a JRT who gave him serious verbals.

momnipotent Mon 12-Sep-11 16:08:47

Good for you! I always thank people that take in a rescue dog. He's a lucky boy!

thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 16:11:27

Thanks Momnipotent, just finding our feet with him, have had dogs for years but obviously dont know much of his history ie children, we have grandchildren but he passed some in the street didnt seem bothered. Also met some friends of my husband walking around the village and greeted them like long lost friends! I think sometimes rescue dogs get a bad press ie they must eat children or something.

OracleInaCoracle Mon 12-Sep-11 16:21:22

Aw, I second lizcat and momnipotent. grin we said when our old dog, bess dies aged 11 of cancer, that we would never get another dog. That lasted 18m.

thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 16:24:59

We have decided to sleep now, and he snores! like a train lol. We think he is four not sure really thats what the rescuer was told, must be so hard for him having been used to a family for that long then has to be rehomed

silentcatastrophe Mon 12-Sep-11 16:33:11

When we got our first rescue hound nearly 12 years ago, we took her to training classes, then outdoor agility, then we got another second hand dog. Last year, we decided it was time to get a 3rd, so we now have 3 pre-owned dogs. Only one has been straightforward, and the other 2 have needed more work and questions and allsorts. What a lucky dog to have landed with you! Sometimes you need to start training from the beginning, and always start as you mean to go on. I think that dogs are pretty resiliant. and brilliant!

thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 16:58:44

Well he is now insured, and will be attending the vets saturday to be vaccinated as we are not sure he is up to date with these. he seems to want to follow us around a lot, he has had such a hard time poor chap was quite clingy with the rescuer and now moved again, hopefully this is the final time grin

silentcatastrophe Mon 12-Sep-11 19:47:08

I think dogs do take a little while to settle into their new life. What a lucky boy. I hope you have lots of fun and happy years together!

thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 20:45:04

Oh bugger! he has fleas, I treated him with Advocate this afternoon when he first came here hopefully that will kill most of them, husband is going to pop into vets for spray and shampoo tomorrow.

DogsBestFriend Mon 12-Sep-11 20:59:02

He sounds lovely and so do you. smile

I'm disappointed that the rescue should release him to a new home unneutered and without a current vaccination document though. Very poor standards on their part and tbh the type of rescue which gets others which do a bad name... as you say, many folk have odd misconceptions about rescue and rescued dogs and this sort of practice does nothing to allay such concerns. sad It makes me wonder if the establishment is a pound rather than a rescue although sadly some rescues still operate like this too. Most don't though, it must be said and going by the fact that he was handed in by his owners rather than a stray chances are this is one is a rescue which just doesn't follow best practice (although pounds do sometimes take "surrenders" as well as strays).

Just in case this establishment is one which takes in the council's strays please, if heaven forbid you ever can't keep him don't return him there as his life will be at risk. Instead seek a rescue which is no-kill, which vaccinates, neuters and homechecks potential owners. In fact even if they are a rescue, given that they aren't the most responsible, if that situation were ever to arise, please seek a more thorough one which will do all these things, for his sake.

Time, patience, love - you're clearly giving him all those and I'm sure he will repay you a hundredfold. Please remember to supervise him with children at all times - I'm not suggesting that you won't or that as he's a rescue he will be a problem, far from it, I'm an independent network rescuer and also a volunteer for a rescue so don't think like that, but he's unassessed with children, came with no history and caution should always be taken even if these things have been done and I know how easy it is to get carried away in the excitement. smile

Now , I must tell you that I'm very disappointed in you...

... you haven't told us what type of pooch he is, what he looks like and you haven't offered us drooling, jealous doglovers a photo on your profile! grin

thewizenedone Mon 12-Sep-11 21:10:32

OOoh I was hoping to hear from you, I have lurked for some time on here. His name is Rolf but he totally ignores this and we are trying Alfie which he seems to prefer. Just posted he has fleas but have used Advocate- pretty much as soon as he got here- before discovering this! Husband is getting spray and shampoo in the morning. He is a Boxer the rescuer is a breed rescuer, she only had him as of friday last we did have a long discussion about previous experience with the breed, in my case 20 years. We have a contract to return him if things dont work out and have to undertake to return him to Boxer rescue. Also to have him neutered. He is not terribly affectionate but a bit aloof, have hated having a dog empty house but am feeling a little strange as he is very different from my old girl, not just in the obvious ways grin I will try to figure out how to post a pic on here not that PC literate.

DogsBestFriend Mon 12-Sep-11 21:20:37

Oh bless! A Boxer! <<swoon>>

I lurves Boxers! grin

Glad to hear that you're contracted to have him neutered though I'm a little concerned that they didn't keep him for longer to assess him and to do this before rehoming.

I'm sure he'll come round and be less aloof once he's settled - most rescues do and Boxers aren't known for permanent aloofness are they? smile

Sounds like he's fallen on his paws with you, lucky boy.

saffronwblue Tue 13-Sep-11 09:24:11

i love Rolf - it is very The Sound of Music!

coccyx Tue 13-Sep-11 13:09:16

thank you for making Rolf part of your life.
Pictures please

thewizenedone Tue 13-Sep-11 20:17:43

Hello, I am afraid we have to stick with Alfie he refuses to deign to even look at us when we call him Rolf. Had to take him to local vet as he was scratching and made his head blead, vet says he needs a little tlc, and has some antibiotics for a minor skin condition. have shampoo and spray for house, not taking any chances with fleas grin unfortunately he is not chipped, was hoping that we might have tracked down previous vets as obviously the more we know the better but nothing there which seems odd.

thewizenedone Tue 13-Sep-11 20:19:13

Meant to add we threw his bed away when we discovered the fleas, which thankfuly have reduced/disappeared overnight grin obviously, one must have somewhere to kip so dh discovered him snoozing in the leather armchair in the conservatory grin grin

Summersoon Tue 13-Sep-11 21:19:48

I love this thread - very funny and quite touching!

Good luck to you all and well done for taking on a rescue dog.

thewizenedone Tue 13-Sep-11 21:26:25

Well he is certainly feeling more comfortable now, scratched at kitchen door, dh thought he was asking to go out for a pee, headed straight for armchair grin. I am popping into vets tomorrow to enquire about a ahem "delicate matter" unfortunately he will be losing two things very close to his heart shortly, maybe when their gone he will start thinking with his brain grin grin never had a boy dog, does neutering make a big difference?

Summersoon Tue 13-Sep-11 21:47:17

Ah, well I hope that you will all still be best buddies when Alfie discovers what has been done to him.... grin About a year or two ago, there was a very funny thread in what was then just the "Pets" section about a large dog named Woofa who had his "things" removed....

thewizenedone Wed 14-Sep-11 16:43:51

Hello to all those who posted kind messages on this thread.

I am sorry to say that Alfie/Rolf was taken back to the rescue today as he was displaying some aggressive tendencies on several occasions to DH. DBF has privately been giving me terrific support and advice but we reluctantly took the view that although we can take the risk of his snapping we cannot assume the risk for others particularly children.

The fault is ours entirely, I know you will all think badly of me but as I have said to DBF you cant think as badly as I do of myself.

I think we were still grieving for our old dog, Alfie was not a replacement, you cant replace the irreplaceable and all dogs are just that. However, we were trying to fill a huge void in our lives and acted hastily. I have followed the advice of not only DBF but others on here and inwardly sighed at people complaining at having to have a home check or fill out lots of forms- just a shame I was too bloody stupid not to get carried away and mentally shook myself before blinding going into this.

I am sorry that I have to write this message and would just apologise to all those involved in rescue and rehoming, but trust me, a salutory lesson has been learnt.

DogsBestFriend Wed 14-Sep-11 17:58:02

You've nothing to be sorry about at all, thewizendone lovey. You weren't to know.

Which is more than can be said for a so-called rescue which rehomes within a couple of days of taking the dog in, without assessing, neutering, vaccinating or even knowledge of the dog's experience with children... angry

Don't let this put you off rescue, please. You've clearly got a lot to give, in time please consider adopting again (and I don't say that often to those who have returned a dog, I can tell you!). A word with one which does all it should do for a potential owner AND the dog might bring you the confidence to try again with thorough assessment and proper support. The Dogs Trust, for example, would be far from a bad place for you to have a chat with...

... in time, when you're ready.

And meantime, please stop punishing and blaming yourselves.

DBF xx

thewizenedone Wed 14-Sep-11 18:55:24

Thank you so much DBF, we WILL definately take this advice. I am just so gutted for him more than us, thought that we could take care of his physical needs and give him love and completley didnt think of his psychological needs. sad I just hope he gets the chance he deserves from someone who maybe has experience of dogs may need emotional support. I think I am still to blame by banging on about my years of boxer experience, which may have swayed them, I just dont know. the rescue really do love their dogs, I know and take on board fully all your comments and promise I have learnt from them, I just dont know we have talked ourselves round all day and just keep going around in circles tbh. This morning he was so good, but like DH said he was exactly like that yesterday its just spotting and working with his triggers and hopefully as I say someone will help him with this.

thanks again for your support.

Summersoon Wed 14-Sep-11 20:16:25

Very sorry indeed to hear this, do hope that you will find another dog that is completely suitable for you in time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now