Talk

Advanced search

When do I worry about diarrhoea?

(7 Posts)
talkingnonsense Mon 12-Sep-11 13:27:13

my 2 yr old Cocker spaniel has had intermittent diarrhoea since Saturday morning. She seems fine in herself- wants to walk, eat etc. She is wormed and flea treated. any ideas what would cause it? And when do I take her to the vet?

silentcatastrophe Mon 12-Sep-11 14:59:00

Has she eaten a lot of cheese or anything with lots of fat in it? Is she drinking normally? Check her gums. Lift her lip and press her gums. If they pale when you press them and go back to pink quickly it is a good sign, and it means that she hasn't torn her gut by eating something sharp. One of our dogs ate about 500g of brie, and had a horrible tum for a few days. Don't try to feed her anything extra. I hope she gets better soon. I would probably phone the vet today having checked the gums, and if they don't think it's an emergency I would play it by ear.

foolserrand Mon 12-Sep-11 15:08:22

A change in food can cause upset for some dogs. Further to above, make sure your dog is drinking plenty of water. Dehydration can be a real problem with long term stomach upsets.

talkingnonsense Thu 15-Sep-11 16:46:42

Thank you. I checked her gums, and they were fine, and the diarrhoea seems to had stopped now. Guess she ate something nasty, the little pickle!

foolserrand Thu 15-Sep-11 19:51:56

Glad she's better now!

Singlediva Thu 15-Sep-11 22:36:07

Just check that your ds hasn't been feeding her liquorice!
My dog had the runs on and off for about 3 weeks. Took him to the vets and spent £50 on medicine and special diet food. Then ds said this week that he only liked the coloured bits of liquorice allsorts and had to feed the black bits to the dog !!

talkingnonsense Fri 16-Sep-11 21:04:17

grin at divas ds! I shall keep an eye out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now