Talk

Advanced search

Help please with friend rehoming a dog

(7 Posts)
Rudawakening Mon 12-Sep-11 12:16:34

Hi all

My friend is trying to rehome their Lhasa apso and I am trying to get them to hand him to a decent rescue that will home check new people etc. I think they got him from a BYB so no joy in getting them to take him back.

Is there anywhere specific I should be pointing them?

TIA

silentcatastrophe Mon 12-Sep-11 12:30:34

The Dogs Trust is very good and there are centres nationwide. There are lots of others too. The Dog Pages might be useful to have a look at. How sad that your friend needs to rehome.

DogsBestFriend Mon 12-Sep-11 13:13:34

Depends on their area to an extent - I can find rescue across the country if needed but as long as the dog has no behavioural issues/ill health/is not of great age the Dogs Trust is as good a place as any to start with.

Breed rescue is another consideration - but FGS tell her to ensure that the rescue has a totally NO KILL policy.

If you can give me some details on the owner's area (county or nearest big town will do) and the age/sex/health/nature of the dog, whether he/she is good with DC and whether good with other dogs, whether good with cats and whether neutered and up to date with vaccination I'd know where to start and can probably help. It would help to know the reason for rehoming to, by pm if you prefer, for the benefit of giving rescue the full picture. (You never know, we may even between us come up with a way of helping the owner keep her dog). smile

Regardless of where the rescue might be, the main things to remember are, as I said, a NO KILL policy, a rescue which homechecks, assesses the dog, neuters/vaxes before rehoming and to start looking ASAP as rescue spaces can be hard to come by for the general public, with long waiting lists. To be fair, a LA is going to be a damn site easier to place than a poor old friendly staffie, but still it's harder for the public to do so than it is those of us who do this sort of thing day in day out, so as I said, if I can help, I will.

2T2T Mon 12-Sep-11 18:29:12

Yorkshire Terrier and Toy Breed rescue. They rehome all over UK and Little Dog Rescue too. Good luck

2T2T Mon 12-Sep-11 18:29:39

Where are you /your friend located

Rudawakening Tue 13-Sep-11 20:56:19

DBF - have sent you a PM with all the details I know, will find out about whether he is neutered or not.

Thanks for all your help and advice I will pass this on.

DogsBestFriend Tue 13-Sep-11 21:45:47

Thanks, have replied. I hope my help won't be needed and that the family caan find a solution. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now