Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a dog proof bin that won't cost £££;££?

(12 Posts)
musicposy Sun 11-Sep-11 08:41:08

Our younger dog keeps raiding the bin and making herself ill. Obviously we try prevention, but we only need to turn our back on her for a second and she's out there. She can open doors hmm which means that it's not as easy as shutting her out of the kitchen, and she can work out how to get into virtually anything because she's too darned clever for her own good.

We currently have a horrible plastic value bin and she get into it in two ways. She knocks the lid completely off, and she knocks it over. If she's pushed, she can actually open the lid.

Trouble is, a lot of the heavy looking ones cost a fortune and we don't have that. I need ideas if anyone has them!

Tchootnika Sun 11-Sep-11 10:04:31

Any of those bins based on Brabantia pedal bins - doesn't have to be the real thing, obv.
John Lewis did them at reasonable prices a few years ago, almost certainly still do, as do most supermarkets, I should think...

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 11-Sep-11 10:10:10

I'm not convinced there is one! we have ours built into a cupboard. The bin slides out IYKWIM, well the tramp dog can open the cupboard and slide out the bin for a good rummage!

He to can open doors, the only solution we have is a high pet gate across the kitchen, this also stops him sitting on the kitchen surfaces watching out of the kitchen window shock. This isn't good behaviour!

piccy on profile, the brindle in all of his innocence!

musicposy Sun 11-Sep-11 11:28:45

He does look gorgeous and very innocent, morethanyoubargainfor!

I too am wondering about a pet gate to the kitchen because she can also jump onto kitchen sides from a standing start. She doesn't do it if we're in there - but turn our backs and it's a different story! We did have a baby gate across the kitchen but she learnt to jump it within a couple of days. I know pet gates are higher so I may have to invest. She's not even a big dog - only 10kg!

I did look at pedal bins but I bet you any money that after a few times watching us operating it she will work out how to use the pedal. She thinks way too much for her own good!

Ours too sits on windowsills - including upstairs in the bedroom thus preventing us properly opening windows - looking at the world outside. If she wants to get up somewhere, she'll work out a way.

I may have to think a bit more laterally smile Outwit the little monkey grin.

BluddyMoFo Sun 11-Sep-11 11:29:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GeeinItLaldy Sun 11-Sep-11 11:32:18

We have a Brabantia one with the 'touch' opening....you press the lid down a little to open. We had a pedal bin before but even Stupid dog worked out how to open that one. This one has kept them both out so far...it's the only bin that can keep supreme scaveneger Bastard dog out.

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 11-Sep-11 12:02:01

Believe me Music, not is all as it seems! grin. i adore him and his 'quirky' ways, he is the more trainable of the 2, the other one is far too superior for this training malarky wink.

I think i can handle my loopy lurcher ways if he was 10kg but he is a whole chunk of dog-33kg, i kid you not!

A 33 kg dog that is over 3ft in length (from nose to tail!) sitting on a windowsill is quite something to witness!

Midori1999 Sun 11-Sep-11 12:21:09

The easiest thing is to turn the door handles upside down or replace them with doorknobs, she won't be able to open the doors then.

Midori1999 Sun 11-Sep-11 12:22:12

OR, you could empty the bin every time you go out so she eventually learns it's not worth trying to get in it?

silentcatastrophe Sun 11-Sep-11 18:05:45

We used to keep our bin in a cupboard with a combination lock on the door. These days we move the bin into another room when we go out. Any bin that is knockable over is not safe in our experience.

LoveInAColdClimate Sun 11-Sep-11 18:09:18

We have a Simple Human one which is like a Brabantia but was much cheaper. Great customer service too - I broke the lid and when I called them to ask if could buy a replacement they sent a new one for free.

Lizcat Sun 11-Sep-11 21:04:32

Locking it in the garage is the only way we have found so far. Mobile mop can actually stand on the pedal to open it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now