Talk

Advanced search

What length lead

(3 Posts)
Heavymetalmater Mon 05-Sep-11 11:17:22

is there an ideal length lead. Our puppy pulls and pulls when on the lead and my DH thinks its the length of the lead. He is tall and finds that the lead is virtually always tight. Have tried stopping every time pup pulls and starting againn when slack but it takes ages to move even the shortest distance.

Due to start puppy classes this week so that may help too.

hephaestus Mon 05-Sep-11 11:57:25

Puppy classes will help enormously. A short lead is annoying and can be ineffective, granted, but it's more to do with consistent training that the dog can understand.

You can get a head start on the classes and on the pulling by teaching a focus command - "watch me", then give a high value treat when the pup makes eye contact with you. Repeat ad nauseum in as many situations as you can. Eventually this will transfer to walking nicely on the lead - pup will want to stay with you and focus on you because it is rewarding.

These leads are excellent for training as they can be adjusted in length and are soft on the hands.

lifesabeech Tue 06-Sep-11 22:48:16

I agree a police style lead is great for training. Ancol make leads in both soft leather and nylon - depends on your budget!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now