Talk

Advanced search

kibble, raw food?

(5 Posts)
ditavonteesed Sat 03-Sep-11 08:56:57

I have changed puppy onto raw food, he is doing much better and not waking us up at 4am to a crate coated in revolting poo, but I am worried about just feeding him raw as I am no way an expert, so i ordered some fish 4 dogs, the plan is to give breakfast as kibble and then his other 2 meals raw, just stiking to chicken and tipe this week. also slightly worried as my supplier is having trouble as their supplier has gone out of business.
So is it a good idea to mix, I know people say you shouldnt but if it is seperate meals and a really good kibble is it ok?
also if I continue with this which is a good food, fish 4 dogs is a bit too expensive long term. I was looking at skinners, barkings heads, that type of thing.
which dry food do people recommend?

minimu11 Sat 03-Sep-11 10:22:15

Ditavonteesed my advice would be to stick with the raw! You can do it - it really is not hard and you do not need to be an expert. I bet you feed your family "proper" food and it is just as easy.

Make sure you feed a mixture of meats over a matter of weeks add a bit of offal in now and again -job done.

All kibble has got rubbish in it and just tripe and biscuit is better than any type of kibble however it is dressed up and priced.

ditavonteesed Sat 03-Sep-11 12:10:30

thanks for the advice, I feed my other dog purely on raw but changed her to raw at about nine months, I worry a bit more about a tiny puppy and getting eveything they need. he does seem to have taken to it very well. I am giving him about 2 thirds of a pound a day (cherry is tiny and only has 1 third a day). I dont give cherry any veg at all, but she often has green tripe, should I be giving the puppy veg?
does this sound about the right amonut, I have calculated it on 10% of his weight now, should I calculate it on expected adult weight?

misdee Sat 03-Sep-11 17:53:25

raw is fine.

www.darlingsrealdogfood.com/article5.php

minimu11 Sat 03-Sep-11 18:32:43

I would work on about 10% of puppy weight eg if 10lbs feed a 1lb split over his 3 or 4 meals a day. But I do tend to feed by eye so if he is looking a little chunky reduce the amount etc.

I don't give veg either maybe a bit of carrot or apple as a training treat. Somepeople do give veg others don't.

Mine get a green tripe and love it smell and all!

Sounds like you are doing all the right things to bring up a healthy happy dog. I have a 17 year old lab by my feet right now who has always been fed raw and I am sure she has lived so long due to her diet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now